Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 F1 Vent Windows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sammy Cakes, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Sammy Cakes

Sammy Cakes

I just replaced some broken windows on my newly acquired 1950 F1. Before I removed the cracked vent window, I noticed that it almost overlapped the divider bar when closed. After installing the new glass, there is no overlap, but the gap is still much tighter at the top than the bottom. It's just a bit too tight for the seal that goes behind it (not installed in pictures) Is this something I can adjust out, or should I try and reset the glass in the frame? See pics.

Attached Files:

2. Budget36

Budget36

Are both sides like that? Or you just replaced the one side? One thing I noticed from your first pic, it appears the pass side post is tilted in at top compared to the driver side, but that may just be the angle of the pic and me looking at it on my phone?
    Maybe put a square on it and see if the post is 90 degrees

3. Sammy Cakes

Sammy Cakes

I haven't touched the driver's side yet. That one wasn't cracked. The gap is very even from top to bottom. You can see in this pic how well the rubber seal fills the gap. It's an even 1/16" from top to bottom of the vent window. I did also note that the glass protrudes a little more from the back of the frame. Maybe my issue has more to do with how I should set the glass in the frame than adjusting the vent window frame in the door.

Attached Files:

4. Budget36

Budget36

Here’s the gap in my ‘57 Chevy for comparison 26E8A7F0-78E0-4A58-8CF0-0036A0314747.jpeg

5. Budget36

Budget36

Sorry for the sun wash and dust

6. wulf powis

wulf powis

Did you replace the rubber u channel in the metal frame when sealing the glass? if the channel is not there the glass would seat too far in the channel I believe and cause it to be uneven with the divider bar.

7. Sammy Cakes

Sammy Cakes

I did replace the glass setting tape with what appeared to be the same thickness as OEM and it was a good tight fit. Then I trimmed off the excess with a razor. I think I've resolved the problem though (or as much as this particular truck requires). I put on some extremely grippy rubber gloves and eased the glass back a fraction. I was then able to push the top of the glass in further. It was a wrestling match, but it looks much more even now. It's not perfect, but at least the window closes evenly and easily and is not cracked.

Attached Files:

firstinsteele likes this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That looks good to me...my wife did my wings in my '55 F100, she asked how it looked.

I said "Smashing..."
    Seriously, both are perfectly aligned.