Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 dodge coronet help!

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Joeorosco, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Joeorosco

Joeorosco

Hi I'm new here looking for some help having trans issues on my 50 dodge coronet

2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. What kind of problem are you having with it? I have a 1950 P 20 Plymouth Deluxe and it should have the same engine, tranny, rear end, etc. I have found many parts at both Roberts motor parts as well as at Kanter Motor Products but neither list transmission parts. Then there is Len Dawson who has tons of NOS Mopar parts but his webpage is hard for me to negotiate. He wants you to search with parts numbers. http://www.dpmotorparts.com/ He might have something you need.
    What part of the country are you located? I have a friend with a 1941 Plymouth parts car minus engine. Not sure how far back in model years that the transmission is the same.
    I got my Deluxe back on the road about 2 months ago and at around 80 miles into test drive a freeze plug turned loose and engine overheated and evidently cooked the temper out of the rings. Waiting to tear that down for repair hopefully very soon.
    Your Coronet looks great in the photo. Jimmie
    IMG_2604.jpg

3. Joeorosco

Joeorosco

Thanks for the tips I've had this car for years never had any major issues only since day one it would never let me put the gear into 1st gear so i would start off in second gear after reaching a certain speed it would make a grinding sound so I would press the clutch in and shift to 3rd and I would be on my way reaching about 65mph I drove it like this for a while then one day I hopped in and it started to skip felt like in second it would grab then not then again after a while I barley would grab any speed I would shift to 3rd and slowly build momentum but we're talking 15mph tops. Does this mean the trans is wore out like the clutches I noticed it has some electrical round switch on the right side of the trans not sure if those could cause it to stop working any help is appreciated thank u.

4. Joeorosco

Joeorosco

I'm in San Antonio TX

5. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

That switch on tranny is likely for showing reverse position for back up lights??? Unless you have overdrive it could be part of the kickdown mechanism? I have a manual on my car but it is with the car about 25 miles away so I cannot look & check that.
    On it now starting to slip in second I wonder if in addition to tranny problem if you have worn the clutch by taking off in second for so long??
    We are about 2 hours apart as I am about 12 miles east of Yoakum on State Hwy 111 E.
    I had tranny problems in my 46 Chevy coupe (engine shown in my avitar photo) where if I came to a stop with it in third gear it would not come out of third without bending linkage and would have to take off in third and then quickly down shift back into second. When we pulled the tranny the front shaft bearing was totally wore out allowing shaft to wobble & this had worn out the synchronizers along with lots of general gear wear. With tranny laying on the floor I could wobble the front shaft around a half inch in any direction. All that wear inside and it had just a slight whine when driving. It got rear ended back in May by a driver going 75 & Texting. I just have not had the heart to begin that yet as left frame is bent above the axel. This is why I have been trying to get the Plymouth up and running so I can use it daily and then concentrate on the Chevy. These two rides are doing a great job of keeping me broke.
    I recall reading that in 1950 Plymouth made a big advertising campaign about the new totally redesigned Plymouth for 1950 when in fact about the only thing they actually changed was the body. The 50 Plymouth still sat on the old frame & running gear. This is why I think there is a chance a 41 or later tranny will work. I know the 41 had 11" drum brakes while the Plymouths from around 48 & later had 10" brakes. I also believe that all the models up until they changed to a V8 engine were still the same running gear as the 50's. Dodges should have had the same changes as Plymouth as these two still had the same engine while Chrysler & Desoto had the slightly larger flathead 6 engines.
    Jimmie

6. Joeorosco

Joeorosco

Man that's sucks about your Chevy bro I get it with the both cars keeping u broke lol I also own a 1948 Buick 2dr jet back but the dodge is pretty much done just need to figure this out I'm afraid if I pull it off I won't find out how to fix it then end up losing parts lol but we'll I'll guess I may just have to take the challenge!