Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 DeSoto semi automatic fluid drive questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wilf13, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

On the '49 Chrysler: There is no fuel going through the fuel pump because the fuel tank is clogged. The fuel is coming from gravity (a drain above the engine into the carb). The oil smells perfect.

I know about the imperial website and Allpar and I have a shop manual but these questions are not text book alas.

2. My 1950 DeSoto S14 experience I can relate the following
    1 the fluid coupling must have 10 wt I use Delo from chevron
    Some try to sub ATF and that is no burn
    2 clean the wire/solenoid connections
    3 drive on flat ground - lever down 3/4 range -
    Go to 15 mph let off gas listen for click and resume. Should not need clutch to do anything more - it releases the clutch to select a range - period.
    4 Be sure idle is set on carb - too low will make a huge rpm drop and you will be fighting your self

There are adapters made to bold a TH 350 to the origional six - I hope to do that to my other s14 a 1950 Convert that I want easy to drive
    Google that

3. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

10w motor oil is very hard to get here. Some shops do have 10, so without the winter classification. Can I use that or do I really need to have 10w?

4. Look for Chevron Delo
    That is all I have used - 5 gal bucket for the ultimate inconvenience lol

5. 10 weight As listed in the owners manual - you should get one it will show a lot of great info

6. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

I've got an owners manual and a shop manual but I didn't know for sure if there is / was a difference. We don't have Chevron in The Netherlands (or not that I know of) and single grades are very hard to get, I found some 10 but no 10w. I'll look further, thanks.

7. When I say 10w I mean 10 weight
    It should be fine wit an API standard oil - seems that when FA auto trans fluid is used it's not effective for the seals
    Best of luck

8. Carl Worstell

Carl Worstell

Slippage may be caused by low oil in the fluid drive coupling unit. On the passenger side of the transmission hump under the carpet there is a little door that can be opened to see the fluid drive filler spot. The trans must be in the correct position. Open this filler spot but be VERY careful that you don't drop the bolt down into the bell housing. I use a magnetic socket to get this out. Fill the fluid coupling unit with straight 10 weight oil.

9. Tim Keith

Tim Keith

Ray, I believe that you are correct in referencing the '53 Dodge with 3-speed manual and overdrive. I have one of these transmissions that came from a 241 V8. This transmission has a very long input shaft . I've read that this was a popular swap. I may use it with my '47 DeSoto S11 with Tip-Toe semi-automatic.

Tim

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Thanks for the reply. Yes, they work. Not to sound too cocksure......but I have done two of these conversions in years past using '53 and '54 Dodge fully manual trans parts. The first was done in 1962 and the later one about 25 years ago. Even then, they were getting harder to find. If you have one on hand you are well on your way. Do you have the looong throwout bearing piece?

I do have a '53 Dodge Coronet Diplomat (2 dr Hardtop) with a 241 and full manual w/OD in storage.
    For the life of me, I cannot understand why I have not done more with it. :( I have had it for about 25 years as well.

Best wishes with your project.

Ray