Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Chevy Window Cranks

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Sid Gowdy, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Sid Gowdy

Sid Gowdy

I've read all the posts about "clip removal tricks" but my window cranks DO NOT HAVE CLIPS or set-screws or anything else I can detect to hold the crank onto the axle. None of the conventional methods of removal will work. These are stock, original equipment handles. Now what?

2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I just looked in my Chevs of the 40's catalogue www.chevsofthe40s.com and they show the chrome handle with chrome knob window cranks interchangeable from 49 - 57. They also show the standard horseshoe clips for these. Who knows, perhaps someone in the cars past glued your on instead of using the clips??? Much stranger things than this come up all the time working on old cars.
    Another thought is behind the handle is both the clip AND a thin metal disc. Is it possible that there is enough space for the clip to go on behind that disc. I think that thin disc is just to prevent crank from wearing the upholstery.
    Something you can try also is to look on U tube for window crank handle remove on a 1950 Chevrolet. They show about everything on that site so this should be there.
    Good luck, Jimmie