Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 chevy truck front leaf removal....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lakermatt, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Lakermatt

Lakermatt
    BANNED
    from Fresno,CA

Hey everyone. I just took out a few leafs on my front straight axle. I am leaving in the longest 3. I am putting in a 292 inline 6 and a T5 tranny. Do you think that when I get all of that weight from the drivetrain, fenders, hood and cab that the leaves will be slammed on the frame?? I don't want to do that of course but want to get this as low as possible without buying a dropped axle. I am going to leave out the bump stops as well. Please let me know if this will be ok, or if I should add leafs... Thanks!

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes to the first question. Probably faster than mine did by taking out a couple of alternate leaves. I have about 3/4 of an inch between the piece sitting on top of the axle and the frame when the truck is static and it hits when I hit any kind of bump. That is with a 250 that is a lot lighter than the 292.

3. Lakermatt

Lakermatt
    BANNED
    from Fresno,CA

So add a couple more of the longest??

4. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

5. I run Mono springs with Bilstein shocks.
    I still have the stock bump stops in place with about 2" of movement between the top of the axle and the bump stop.
    I also have a sway bar.