Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Chevrolet Ambelutte

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chucklz, Aug 10, 2008.

1. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

How rare, if at all, are these? I came across one riding through a small town in SE KS. The owner claims it is a real 2 door wagon not a sedan delivery with windows cut in.

2. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

check the roof. Sometimes they had small windows cut in and then they put the siren on top of the roof.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

The owner claims it is a real 2 door wagon not a sedan delivery with windows cut in.

pics would be nice. they never made a 2 door wagon at the factory. it was "coach built" by one of the many companies that did these things back in the day. 99.99 % certain it would have been built from a delivery.

any coach built chevrolet like this is very rare.

4. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

One of our former members owned this 49 Chevrolet at one time. Did it look like this?

[​IMG]

(260)

5. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

i like it

6. Generally, although ambulances and hearses could be coachbuilt from most any car, the Cadillacs were the most common, and the production of those was pretty low. I would be surprised if there were more than 500 coachbuilt Chevrolets of all types from all the builders at the time. The delivery itself wasn't that high a production piece.

The thing to check is the Fisher Body tag on the cowl, it will tell you exactly what the car was built from - but another clue would be the rear door, if it opens to the side that's a delivery, the wagons had a tailgate and a lifting window above it.

7. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

It must have been coach built from a sedan the rear door opens to the left. It has Chrysler front suspension with power brakes. A 350/350 powers her down the highway at speed comfortably. She had a tendency to walk at slower speeds but handled well at highway speeds. Overall she was a nice drive. What do you think she is worth? Sorry for the low quality pics they came from my cell.

8. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

I forgot to add it did have the characteristic markes of siren and light bar on front and rear of the roof, a window sign "AMBELUTTE" and copious amounts of filler in the quarters.