Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 4 Door Merc Build...Sort Of.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Smokey2

Smokey2

Good Post!

BAD Choice.............But, I think you'll MAKE THE BEST!, OF IT.......
    I recently, had a Best friend leave us, He left (our) '50 Merc coupe To HIS Son...
    Who knows nothin' bout Ole Cars!, BUT, he can afford to do what (it appears)
    you R doin'. Soooo, Good Cruzin' TO YA!
    Keep us A'holes POSTED!

Smoke ;)

2. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

[​IMG]
    I drove mine for a few years and this is one of my "gifts". It a ppears he had stock in a rivet company, still working on it!

3. HRod 50

HRod 50

OKAY!!!! The Top is coming OFF!!!!!!
    I went out to Extreme Kustoms today, because I had to see for myself, the disaster of body work that my car has done to it. So after about 20 minutes of crying and laying inside my car in the fetal position on the bare metal, I made the decision that food and a social life are overrated, and I have to have my car done, and done right.
    So I told Rick lets go ahead, and replace the top, which deep down I've aways wanted to do, but that was going to be done 5 to 10 years down the road. Not because I knew it was in such bad shape, but because I didn't like the look, I didn't like how extreme the chop was, and I wanted more of a rounded crown. So now it's happening a lot sooner than 5 to 10 years, like in the next week or so.
    What was most shocking wasnt the rust, or the braising, but the wavy, bumpy, metal. It bugged the sh*t out of me. So now it's all ging to be fixed.. Stay tuned...
    Here are some pictures I took today... I know redundent, but I needed to capture what bugged me...

Attached Files:

4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

i admire you for what your doing with what you've started out with. get'er done

5. HRod 50

HRod 50

I Live in Cali, but I'm not a Surfer.. Let the F-ing Waves Begin....

Attached Files:

6. HRod 50

HRod 50

This is what I started with.. It didn't look that bad.. :(...

That was a loooooooooooong time ago...

Attached Files:

7. ty1295

ty1295
    from Indiana

Wow, it always amazing me how people will cut corners on the metal work and you know damn well they spent just as much time shaping the body filler later.

Glad to see you sticking with this project and making it happen. Many projects like this would be stuck in the garage with no progress for years.

8. Great that you are doing it up right. It´s the only way.

9. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

HRod, I just read through your thread. This has got to be one of the best stories to be told. Your Merc had been travelling around looking for you as much as you had been looking for it. Everyone's build is different except for one thing.The staying power it takes to see one through to the end and that is what you have demonstrated here. From the extremely rocky beginning to the forthcoming reward. You may not have "built it yourself" but you did build it through your builder while learning. Great decision to save your car from a certain unhappy demise. Congratulations.

10. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

HRod50- To start off I want to thank you for this thread which I have followed for a number of weeks. I admire you for keeping it going after starting on the wrong foot then correcting the obvious bad comments made by you and other Hambers. You have developed quite a following including me, I was sick when you got the body back in bare metal. My main reason for following other than my love for 49-51 Mercs, was that I had made a decision to sell my 32 Ford which I did. My search came down to 2 cars a 50 Merc 2-door which was an old custom showing some wear and tear but still appeared very nice,and a 49 Merc 2-door original rust free CA. car with original never undercoated floor pans, the 49 was a bit more money. After seeing what could be hidden under the paint you convinced me to go with the 49 and to hell with the extra cost.

Again, Thanks for your experience I know you will enjoy the ride because you did it your way.;) Larry

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

Congrats! I am looking forward to the re-birth, lots of pics please :D You will forget all the heartache the first time you take it out for a cruise !!

12. jfrolka

jfrolka

Exk will make that body smooooth again... don't worry about it!!

13. HRod 50

HRod 50

Hey All,

Another quick update. After the heart break I went through yesterday, I had to tighten my belt, and figure out what my next move would be. I received wonderful emails of folks offering parts, some far, Thank You Jim (cfnutcase) and some were a bit closer. Some might recognize the guy and his shop... After figuring out, what made sense money wise.. Close Won!

So I headed out on a journey today. I'm exhausted right now, but I feel I owe it to all you guys who have kept me motivated with all your encouraging words.....

Yayyy, new parts... I went from one Living Legend to a soon to be Legend..

Attached Files:

14. HRod 50

HRod 50

I know, I know, it's a 51 roof, but it's cherry, and I love the crown it wears. She's going to be beautiful, with my 1950 frame, 49 back glass in her, and a proper chop...:D

Oh yeah, I know I don't work on my own car, but I do just as much as any guy, other than using the torch, and installing the parts.. My car visit, parts buy, pick up and deliver had me driving 481.4 miles round trip in the last day and a half.. Dont say I dont do anything for my car..:p

Attached Files:

15. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

great score on parts,are you gonna chop it as much as before?

16. HRod 50

HRod 50

Noooo, I am going to use the window measurement to give you an idea.. My current window opening is 10 inches, a stock window opening is about 16, we are going to go 12 1/2..

17. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

this car WILL be your own,bitchin

18. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

HRod, you are building your car your way. Congratulations on sticking with it and seeing your car come to life. And on the parts as well. This is an impressive build. Can't wait to see your car when it is finished. Have you given it a name?

19. OH MY GOD!!!!! I just checked back in with this thread! Didn't realize you blasted it. Ever heard of "out of sight...out of mind"? I don't know...guess you had to find out,huh? Hope it all works out for you. It's gonna be expensive...Just thought of something. If you are gonna cut the roof off,why not just go with the Carson Top idea,like you previously considered?

20. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Congratulations on your latest roof purchase. Have you ever thought of how much of the your original purchase will be left???? Larry

21. HRod 50

HRod 50

Larry, I had that conversation with Rick yesterday when I dropped off the parts. I told him I want to keep as much of what I originally purchased with the car as possible. I don't care if it's a 2inch by 2inch piece of sheet metal. This car has a soul now, because of everything it and I have been through since I purchased it. Its ALIVE!!!!!!! Hahahaha, but I am serious about that, we are going to keep what we can..

Hey Bob, no I'm not a Carson top kind of guy. Especially on a big car like this. The Barris 4 door Merc is my inspiration, and I purchased an original print from George, see the pic.. I love that car...
    The out of sight out of mind, seems dishonest to me. I couldn't imagine if down the road I had to sell this car in the condition it is in, to someone. To me it's like pawning off a a glass 34 roadster, to a guy who didn't know they should be in steel, or just knowing the car was a bondo bucket. I know it's buyer beware, but I'm not that kind of guy..Thats just me.. Basically I'm an idiot. haahah

Funny you said that, my lic. plate for it reads HRod 50 so naturally I thought I'd name it that, but after all the waves in the metal after blasting it, I'm thinking of more of a surfer motif.. Please recommend a name.. I have a few ideas: CowaBonga, Hang 50, Mr. Zogs, Endless Summer. Please add.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  22. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Sex Wax-slick, shiney, and she screwed ya.
    Looks like she's through the worst of it. This will be a real fine ride when it's done

23. It's a fair bit of work, but a decent shop can slice that top off, and replace it witlh a early 70's ELdorado convertible top. The rear doors welded shut, front doors lengthened. The frame is filled with reinforcement plates between kick ups.It has been done,and made a very cool custom from a 4 door. Quiz a few body shops and see what they quote. If you want a radical custom think on it. Photoshop maybe first ? Hey good luck, just showing you a fairly easy solution. More power to you !!

24. HRod 50

HRod 50

:eek:

25. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Double That :eek::eek: Must be a Canadian thing!

26. That 4 door inspiration merc doesn't even look chopped. How much are you going to chop the new roof?

27. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Instead of "endless summer" how about "ended waves"or "Sanded Crab" or "Jimmy BuffedThis" or instead of "Riders in the Storm" call "Sled in the Sand"
    or my favorite "Out Comes The Pearl"

28. HRod 50

HRod 50

Here are better pictures of the chopped Barris Merc..

For my car we are going with a 2 1/2inch chop up front and Rick can answer you about the back.. I want a rounded roof, and I know you guys are going to kill me, but the rear vent windows are staying, as well as the rounded bit, and drip rails. We are losng the funky rear window trunk transition, as well. I can't copy Barris, completely..

Attached Files:

• B2.jpg
      B2.jpg
      File size:
      64.3 KB
      Views:
    • B3.jpg
      B3.jpg
      File size:
      85.5 KB
      Views:
    • B6.jpg
      B6.jpg
      File size:
      188.2 KB
      Views:
    • B7.jpg
      B7.jpg
      File size:
      119.9 KB
      Views:
  29. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

if you plan for a 12.5" windshield thats looking more like a 4" chop. thats a nice looking 4door that barris did, not really digging the rear window it looks funny. dont worry about copying somebody most of its all been done before!!

30. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

im not a big fan of the rear roof of this mercury, but everything else i like. the one thing about this chopped mercury is. it doesn't look chopped. the best thing too is! its your car!! you get to build it how you want. if you want to copy another cars chop. well do it. nothing is new in the custom car scene. have fun with it