Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Ford Non-Vented Gas Cap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txag01, May 13, 2013.

1. txag01

txag01

I have a 1949 Ford Shoebox, and I relocated the gas filler to inside the trunk. I vented the fuel filler neck to a vent valve under the trunk floor, but now I need a gas cap that is not vented so that I don't get fumes in the trunk. Does anyone know of a non-vented gas cap that will fit the 49 ford filler neck?

2. I don't know about the stock tank filler neck, I swapped in a Mustang tank, but Tanks Inc. should have anything you need. I bought a non-vented cap and generic filler neck from them.

3. txag01

txag01

I called tanks inc, and they said that they only had a twist on cap for 1932-48 that was non-vented that fits 2-19/32 filler necks. Does anyone know if this will fit a 49? I am going to measure tonight.

59Fins likes this.
  4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I went with a Mustang tank with the filler cut way down and vented the neck through the floor. No fumes in my trunk.....
    [​IMG]

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Early Ford cap (non-vented is for '32-5) will not fit a '49 neck. Most vented caps have a fairly small vent aperture in the inner area of the underside of cap...find that and kill it with some solder. If cap has a good gasket seal, it will then be non-vented.

6. txag01

txag01

I really like the mustang tank install, and would like to do the conversion over the winter. I could really use the ground clearance. My car came with a poly tank under the floor, and I already modified the neck and routed the vent line. I just need to find a non-vented cap.

7. txag01

txag01

Thanks for the reply Bruce! I actually have a vented cap, and I epoxied the center hole closed. I assume that I am not getting a good seal because I am still getting some fumes in the trunk. I figured that if I was going to buy a new cap that I should go ahead and get a non-vented one.

8. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Not to hi-jack the thread, but when doing this, which sending unit and gauge did you end up using?

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Bringing up old post about gas caps..As far as I know all Ford gas caps 49' up to when they changed to threaded ones fit a 2-1/4 neck; ..As far as I know at least 49' up to HAMB friendly year of 65' the caps were vented, no other vent line only line for gas out to fuel pump...Now the question is are the caps vented in only one direction? All that I have new and old [49'-65'] only let air into the tank easily, none will let air [fumes] out easily, in my mediocre testing.. So what I am wanting to know is are they set up for a certain amount of pressure to be present in the tank before they will vent? I know I have seen tanks venting gas when filled with cool gas and then car parked in the sun...

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I seem to recall the vent being on the filler neck below the caps. Gary

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's not the "Vent" that lets air out when gas goes in the tank so it doesn't burp on you .
    txaqo1 it shouldn't be that hard to find a cap if you take your cap to the parts house and match it

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

13. Take it to NAPA & get somebody that Knows his shit
    to Find you a Cap!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Let me reiterate..I have vented gas caps that fit, new and old..They all let air in easily but seem to have some restriction for letting air [fumes] out..Are they supposed to be like that? My testing is not real sophisticated at this point..

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ Yes. The volume of fuel used must be replaced by air or the fuel would not flow. Gary