Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1949 Ford alternate horn wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom Komet, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Installing a Volvo 140 steering box in a '49 Ford, and the original horn wire that goes through the steering shaft can no longer be used. Has anyone devised a way to connect the horn using the original horn ring, rather than a dash mounted button?

2. Not without some serious modifications. A swap to a '58 or newer Ford turn switch or complete column, and then you'll have to install a commutator on the back of your existing wheel. I suppose it's possible to install just the contact brush in your existing column, but you'll still need the commutator...

Or a brush on the steering shaft ala '58 Edsel TeleTouch could possibly be done, that would avoid steering wheel mods.

morac41 likes this.
  3. Find an ALTERNATE sreering box......

4. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Perhaps the Limeworks kit. I have one for a 1939 Ford column but have not installed it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. x2....I have installed several, they work.
    Just tried to look it up on Limeworks site, don't see it now.....maybe give them a call? I haven't bought one for a couple years.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  6. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try Limeworks, used their stuff before and always nice parts.

7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On our 49 we had the Art Deco dash propellor centre emblem spring loaded with a momentary button behind it. Funny thing was with the original steering wheel button if you were touching the gear stick at the same time as you hit the horn you got a mild electric shock??

8. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I noticed that too, I was working under the dash fixing some light issues, when my slightly damp arm touched the horn ring and I felt a mild tingle. I thought something was wrong, so I went through the whole circuit and checked the shop manual diagram, but it was all normal. Pretty weird way of setting up the horn circuit.

9. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Thanks again to Mike S, I ordered the Limeworks horn kit and installed it, and it works very well. I ran the wire low on the column so it's essentially invisible. Terrible photo:
    IMG_1503.jpg
    The Volvo steering box was a success, the car steers almost like a late model and the steering is much lighter than stock, a real plus when power parking at the burger stand car shows. Helps in actual driving as well. It fits fine with the flat head, but you must run headers - which this car fortunately had.
    IMG_1506.jpeg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

RMR&C likes this.