Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Chrysler Engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elvisaurusrex, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

I'm thinking of buying a car at the moment with my dad, and it's somewhere between a 1948-49 Chrysler. I was grieving about the work I have to do and how much it's going to cost, but does anyone know what the straight-6's were called? I need to get a rebuild kit and I'd like to find a good one before I even ask my pops for the cash.
    Thanks,

-Idiot Kid.

2. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

they were 250 cu-in, 3.44x4.50 bore x stroke, 116 horsepower.

that was the only style 6 cylendar engine produced by chrysler that year, so i hope that should tell you enough.

3. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

Alright, thanks.
    Gee, a whole 116 horse power.. that's power, right there.

4. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

..add a K&N air filter for more horsepower..hahaha

5. BOHICA

BOHICA

Hey, my Subaru makes 90hp.

6. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

If its an OD model it'll run 70 no problem. The torque is what makes it.

7. 73RR

73RR

The flat engines are extremely durable / reliable. Tire shredder ? No.
    Not cheap to properly rebuild but less than a complete drivetrain swap...

8. jleavesl

jleavesl
    from Houston

check out www.oldmoparts.com That's where I've scored some of the components for my 50 Plymouth.

John

9. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">
    That engine is not the same as the 218/230 mills in the Plymouths and Dodges. Speed equipment is fairly easy to find for the 218/230's (aluminum intakes, headers, and heads), but quite rare for the engines in the Chryslers and DeSotos. Also, a lot of the replacement parts from places like Kanter & Birnbaum are coming from overseas and quality is spotty. I bought axle seals from Birnbaum for one of my Plymouths and the quality was very poor, we ended up using the ones that were in the car. Surprisingly, NAPA still lists a lot of parts for old cars so I'd check with them first before buying from Kanter or Birnbaum. I bought a carb kit for a Carter 1 bbl from NAPA and the price was quite a bit less than Birnbaum.
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>