Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 chevy coupe brake conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51shoebox, Dec 10, 2009.

1. 51shoebox

51shoebox
    from rialto

ok guys need some input wanna change out my front drums for disks. where do get a good price on a conversion kit and is there any of you 49 chevy coupe guys out there that has done this. can you give me some input:rolleyes:

2. I can tell you converting it to Bendix brakes up front is a fairly cheap and easy bolt-on if you can find a donor for backing plates/hubs/drums. The wear parts will set you back about $100-$150 for everything - shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware and hoses. The drums can be bought new, also. Your donor needs to be a 1951-1954 Chevrolet car.

3. Derwood

Derwood

I'm going with the complete kit from Chevs of the 40's. $450 all new everything included, brackets, hdwe, bearings, rotors, calipers, hoses. You will need to upgrade your master cyl as well. New m/c about $300 with power booster, mounts in stock location under floor, or you can convert to firewall mounted unit. Hope this helps, there are alot of options out there like mustang II kits but then yuo're talkin big bucks!

4. 51shoebox

51shoebox
    from rialto

tanks for the information:D

5. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

What rear end are you running? If it is stock, then you might want to replace the Huck brakes on there as well.

6. oldwagonlover

oldwagonlover

Did you ever change out your brakes? If so do you still have the drums? I would be intrested in them if so.
    Thanks,