Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Chevrolet 3100 with a 235 / 700R4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Louie1940, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Louie1940

Louie1940

My truck is a work in progress. I wanted to keep my 235 and make it automatic (rather than going with a 5 speed) and had a hard time gathering information about doing so. I am creating this post to hopefully help someone who is looking for the information I have now gathered. This truck / install isn’t done and it will be my work cruiser. This is supposed to be helpful.
    IMG_5022.JPG

I removed my original granny gear box and bell housing from the 235. During my research faze I ordered the Transmission adapter kit and starter from Tom Langdon. It was recommended I get a 700R4 or a 2004R. I got the 700R4 for the gearing and availability in my area. The adapter kit was super straight forward as well. It came with the adapter plate and fly wheel as well as all the appropriate bolts. I didn’t take too many pictures at this phase but all it requires is some grinding on the back of the block to make sure the fly wheel doesn’t rub. The link for the adapter plate is here: http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/st...apter-235-and-261/p/1396439/category=18665953

Transmission 1.JPG Transmission 2.JPG Transmission 3.JPG

I removed the original engine mount crossmember as well as the original transmission mount crossmember. If you were to drop the 235 with the 700R4 back in its original place it seats great with no real issues (Clearance, engine angle, placement, etc). The 700R4 almost fits exactly on the original transmission crossmember and you don't need to cut your floor away.

The crossmember and my need to have this truck low required me to raise the engine and transmission 2 inches so my oil pans wouldn’t hit the ground. I did so by making a 2” square tubing jig to drop the engine down onto its original front engine mount. I took the same square tubing and used it to lift the transmission crossmember. Once I had that set I trimmed my engine mounts that I bought from Jimenez Bro’s Customs, leveled them out and then welded them in. Once my new mounts were in at the appropriate height I removed my front Mount jig and set them on the new mounts. This caused a clearance issue with the 700R4 bell housing now hitting my my floor and firewall. I had to cut about 4 inches out for proper clearance.

10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG 13.JPG

The shifter was very straight forward. I opened the box on the column and removed the lower sifter arm. I found a location I liked and welded the top shifter arm in place. The shifts feels good and smooth. Here is the arm I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-GM-Transmisson-Column-Shift-Linkage-Kit-For-350-700R4-4L60E-4L80E-LS/312293408372?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    Steering and Shifter.JPG

The next issue for me was establishing a kickdown cable mount and some kind of attachment to my throttle. My block is a 1958 and has 2 bolt holes on the driver side by the throttle. I utilized those to mount a bracket I got from Jegs. All I had to do was pie the bracket and stretch it to fit in the bolt holes. I then welded my seem. For the kickdown bracket I established my throttle position and welded it to the swivel sleeve on my block. There is a company that makes something almost identical but they charge $250. This only cost me $30.

Kickdown 1.JPG Kickdown 2.JPG Kickdown 3.JPG Kickdown 4.JPG

Here are the brackets I ordered:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/157...2AK45gQ5-nHsT91yABy0jY1KEaX4Ik4RoCFawQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CQTZM6Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    MO54Frank, Bob Lowry and AVater like this.
  2. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Nice conversion and pictures for us to view. I have a stock '54 3100 so I could relate to your
    ride! Love all of the room in the early Chevys to do V8 swaps. Keep us posted. Nice looking
    truck, too. Bob