Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1949-54 Chevys (Where Did They Go?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Seven years ago, I couldn't open a rod or custom magazine without staring at a few dozen 49-54 Chevy rods, customs, or stocks. Now I open them up and see one or two... What happened? I've still got a mag from 2004 that showed Jesse James' 1954 Chevy, and its still bad ass. Was it just a fade? Have they gone underground? What's going on?

2. GREASER815

GREASER815

I drive my 50 all the time. They are still around, just seem to be getting harder to find. Especially the 2 doors, alot of 4 doors coming up for sale around here. Most the stuff around here is rotted to the door handles though. But yeah, they are still very popular.

3. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I'm surprised you don't see a lot more specialized parts for them. For being a longer stretch of years that are similar, you don't see a whole lot made for '49-54. I see a TON of things for '55-57, and I know those were popular years, but I think it's odd.

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

5. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

still have mine

6. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

I have been running this one for 15 years.

Attached Files:

7. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

they are everwhere, but it now takes a nicer one to get into the mags because there were so many. look at the new GG this month. there are a bunch in there

8. I've got one of them...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. John Denich

John Denich

I got three of them.....

10. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I've got five....six if you wanna count my 51 pickup.

11. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

maybe because i didn't finish mine yet.

12. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

heading out to arkansas this friday to pick up a '51 chevy deluxe 2 door. I tried owning a four door but it felt like driving a taxi.

13. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

..this may not set well with you,,but all those pictures in a magazine mean ,,,is someone who was at some show who took pictures of some cars that caught their eye,,usually those magazine guys are not always car guys,,,,if you rely on a magazine to tell you what is popular,then you are exactlly what those magazines are looking for as far as readership goes.....

14. That's my point. I quit buying magazines a while back. All the stuff began to look homogenized. Thankfully, I've still got all my old ones that have amazing 49-54 Chevy's in them.

I just got one given to me over the weekend. It's all rot on some parts, but I can make it work. It's a '51 210 4-door that is complete with some awesome accessories. I've wanted that car for about 15 years now.

Hell, yall got them. I want to see some. Don't be stingy. Post em if you got em. :D

15. Was a matching pair of them in last month's R&C, both baby blue.

And two of them went to one of the local pick yards here over the summer - one nice enough I cut all the body mounts out of it, and the tail pan, what would amount to about $1000 in repop tin for like $200.

16. I think the crushers scooped up alot of them......I know that happened to 3 of them (2; '50 2 door sedans + 1; '49 4 door sedan) that I was not able to purchase in time - not knowing their awaiting fate (to add to my other 6) The guy thought he was doing good just getting scrap prices, crap he could have sold some of the parts off of each one and gotten more than he could have for scrap alone, oh well, can't save them all....

17. It'd be real nice if we could. Shit, loosing them is almost like putting a good dog down. F*cking sucks!

18. 50styleline

50styleline

I drive mine every chance I get

19. CUTITUP53chevy

CUTITUP53chevy

here is mine drive it all the time [​IMG]

20. gsport

gsport

the 49-54 is the new and up-coming 55-57 in my books....

21. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

but you have to understand that the 49-54 cars appeal to and are more often owned by car people, whereas the tri-5's are really hot among non-car people who want an iconic statement car .... and there are way more of the non-car folks than us.

Barry
    I know, I know ... some tri-5's are in our hands too

22. 53Hattie

53Hattie

I got one hiding the shop 'til the big reveal, next spring maybe, I hope...

23. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

sweet ride!

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when I bought my first one in 1976 they were like a red headed stepchild. you never saw them in magazines, they were not a Hot Rod, not a muscle car, not a street machine. had to park outside at the good shows with the old cars. there was no aftermarket support for them at all.

paid $600.00 for it with a cherry 1 paintjob body, though it was in primer when I got it. 261, 3 speed and a good runner. if I had looked a little longer I probably could have got a real creampuff for $1,000.00 but I was 16 and had to have some wheels!

they were cheap and unpopular, it is a wonder that any of them survived.

25. cederholm

cederholm

I have one. It's got two extra doors in back tho...

26. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I am staring at this car trying to find a flaw or something I dont like. For some strange reason i really want to hate this car. I dont know why but It is outstanding. i love it and want to see more of it so I can hate those parts too =)

27. 39studebaker

39studebaker

Still got mine....just no $$$ to finish her up yet

Attached Files:

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I've got mine still but I probably won't get started on it until next summer. Planning on a Watson style custom with '55 chevy eye brows, scallops and left unchopped.

29. jjsound

jjsound

30. scoobyscooter

scoobyscooter

Here's my daily driver, named Golgotha.....makes me grin evertime i'm behind the wheel ;)

Attached Files: