Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 stylemaster steering-box question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy48, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Chevy48

Chevy48

Before I simply dive-in and remove the steering-box to send it off to be rebuilt, I'm hoping someone can help me understand something?

After detaching the Pittman arm and unbolting the steering-box from the frame, Is the steering-shaft removable from the box itself or does it remain attached? :confused:

Thanks!

2. Flop

Flop

one piece . pull the steering wheel then pull the shaft out of the column with the box.

hey chevy could you take a picture of the shift linkage for me ? i took mine apart a year ago and now cant find the picture!1

3. Chevy48

Chevy48

Thanks Flop!

I do have a couple of cruddy pics and I did find an illustration, however I will gladly take better photos tomorrow and post them for you. ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  4. Chevy48

Chevy48

Ooops! This illustration is more appropriate. :p Will get back with photos tomorrow.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. Flop

Flop

thanks alot chevy!! if you could get a pic behind the front arm that would be great !! thanks alot!!

just had my steering box rebuilt and i painted the column so i took everything apart . make sure the rubber bushing in the pitman arm is good as well i had some play there too.!

6. Chevy48

Chevy48

I'm so sorry, I was half way to the shop this morning when I realized I forgot the camera.

I'll do it tomorrow. (I placed the camera next to my car keys so I won't forget again.)

In the mean time, I would be interested in knowing how much it cost to have yours done, and by whom? I found only one place that offered to do it, and they want $275.00 to start, plus what ever-else it may need. :eek:

I've been avoiding having it done because of the potential cost, and I wouldn't be able to drive the car during this time. So far, I haven't been able to find a core reasonably priced to send off instead.

But first, I'm going to give it the the ole' college try and attempt to adjust it. Perhaps I will get lucky?

Thanks! I will post the pics when I get home tomorrow evening.

7. Flop

Flop

thats what i did chevy . i have a core here if you need it .i bought another box and had it rebuilt. it was 375 i do believe to rebuild the box. i adjusted mine it lasted for a while then went back to steering a cruise ship!

8. Chevy48

Chevy48

That's great Flop! I sure could use the core to send out as soon as I can. I will be glad to offer a few bucks for it.

I will PM you for details...fantastic!

Thank you!

I'm sorry for getting back so late...but I did manage to put up a couple of more pics for you. I hope they do the trick!

Yes, adjusted mine and the same thing is happening.

Cruise-Ship is a perfect description! :p

Attached Files:

9. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

If you find a good source for the rebuild, let me know if you don't mind. I'm steering the Costa Concordia myself.

10. Chevy48

Chevy48

Hey there MonkeySpunk

http://www.rebuildingfactory.com/?gclid=CIDm2_Ll9K0CFcnc4Aod4Ud4tg

This is the only place I found. I called them and it was $275.00 to start plus what ever. :eek:

I guess their pricing is why I'm not breaking down their door to get mine done. I really want to try and adjust mine one more time. There are 3 adjustments, I only tried one.

But I do like this "We rebuild your part within 3-5 business days!"

Let me know how it goes, if you choose to have yours done!