Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 gmc 3/4 ton 15 year old builder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by longstory1948gmc, Jun 15, 2014.

1. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

Hi guys as you can see I am in the process of building my 48'gmc and I am 15. I have always been a classic car person and thought I should make one too. So my plan is to do a s10 chassis swap because I don't have much money for mustang 2 front end and all that fancy stuff. I also have a 383 stroker that is high performance being it is full roller valve terrain and Keith black racing pistons that my dad built in the 90s. I will be posting pictures along the way on my build. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402862734.358744.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402862803.431880.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Also check the AD social group- there is a wealth of knowledge there
    as well.

4. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

thanks guys

5. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

Just got s10 body off and sold

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Good project. And at 15, you'll have a long time to enjoy it.
    Whats the "Long Story"?

7. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

The long story is there because it has a very long and interesting story. It was moved from place to place from divorces from the last owner and the previous owner died 20 years ago and he was the original owner. It was also used as a laggers truck that was used a lot and cared for greatly. That is a very dumbed down story. The guy I bought it from was going to restore it but he has spine, leg, and other problems and couldn't work on it and he has one that is his pride and joy that he won't sell and my truck he didn't want to either.

8. Money or not, this is a perfect marriage, really the right way to go. Set up right they drive great, ride great, and look great. Here's a couple pics of my 50 to keep ya going.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41 mopar likes this.
  9. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

Gorgeous truck @oldfart36 I am having second thoughts about the s10 swap, my dad is a good welder and is used to doing small things. I might just end up going with the MII ifs set up I don't have much time and I would like to keep the stock chassis because my truck was a highly optioned truck and was one of the first 10,000 made that year. I still like the s10 idea but for the sake of time I am seriously considering the ifs. Anyone please help me decide I am at a point where I can make money off the s10 I bought and sell that for a ifs system I would love to see some pics of the mustang 2 ifs system in people's truck and hear how hard it was.

10. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

I have started to lean to mustang ifs but I also realize it would be better for a daily driver to have the s10 and parts wise it's a d@mn shame to get rid of the chassis.

11. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

Also sis you use wheel spacers on your truck oldfart36 I have been thinking of putting a 10 bolt from a second gen camaro in it or something for the rear but I dunno about the front.

12. I think the biggest thing I can stress, especially being younger, and on a first build, is patience. I know you're gung-ho to get going on this, and it can be tough to curb the enthusiasm, but some advice from experience... Stop. Weigh your two options (S10 chassis vs. MII suspension). Research the pros and cons of both. Research the cost of both. Figure out what is going to be simpler/better/more cost effective.
    There's nothing worse then jumping, having to switch plans midway through, and then paying double for things. Ask me how I know...

13. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

I have decided on the MII ifs thank god and the s10 chassis is now up for sale.

14. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

Now the debate is what I wanna do for fuel. I want to do a vintage hotrod setup with low end grunt without sucking my wallet dry. My options are: 3x2, 6x2, and a boring single quad. I need help with my decision.

15. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

The boring 4 barrel will be the best time and wallet wise to get you going! you can always get all the tuning headaches later. Gary

16. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

Thanks if I do that I wanna find a really cool air cleaner.

17. A single four barrel carb may not have the wow factor of multiple carb set ups, but, it will work and get you going. AND,more importantly, get you HOME too! My personal fav for an air cleaner is the olds/caddy unit. They look good with pinstripes or other custom paint.

18. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

For a air cleaner

19. shadams

shadams

What the hell is that?! hope he cleaned out all the spit from that thing before he stuck it on his engine...YUCK..haha. I am glad you nixed the s-10 swap. It generally turns into a cluster unless you really know what you are doing. Look at the thread titled chev 3600 into a daily driver, I think his username is coach29. That is a killer budget/home build and the outcome was awesome.

You can check out my build as well, it was a ground up home build and I learned a lot along the way. It is a half ton but still a lot of good info. Also, keep it simple till you get it going, as others have said. You can change it up later on. There is a ton of stuff I would like to do but all that comes with experience, although it helps to have a dad that can build engines, that is a big plus...good luck...

20. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

I am starting to get excited I am getting closer and closer to getting the ifs And making plans to go on next years power tour.

21. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

Now I have been heavily swayed to do a custom with no ifs so that's the plan I guess

22. Slow down, man! You're all over the map on this thing. My advice is get it running, driving and stopping. Then you can assess what you have and decide what you want to do next, based on your budget and skills.

23. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lets-see-some-custom-lead-sled-trucks.766324/ maybe this can help if you haven't checked out already, also do a search on the "trucks only thread". as far as the straight axle, I have put a million miles on them. they ride and handle like an old truck, which is kinda cool. Do a little research, find ideas you like and fits your skill level and budget and make reasonable, reachable goals. Find people who can help you gain skills such as welding, cutting, mechanical, and body repair. If you have access to a trade school take advantage of it, our local community colleges have free summer courses for high school students. Its out there but you got to find it.
    ps...Please don't use a spittoon for a breather

24. I'd suggest doing your MII front end only after getting it running and you've enjoyed it for a while. All to often ambition gets the best of us and we rip the trucks apart with grand plans only to realize the job/project is much larger than we anticipated and we end up giving up and sitting with a bunch of parts. I was your age when I did my first AD and I tore into it way to fast and ended up having to wait several years before I got to have fun in it.

25. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

I can tell what it feels like stock I am also building my grandpas 51 chev truck so I will drive that soon

26. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

I am in almost all the auto classes I can take through school. I am also a engine builder through hotrodders of tomorrow check it out.

27. that's awesome, I know of the program and our mechanics instructor has looked into it. What do you think of it?
    also check with your local community college, ours give out summer scholarships for 10th and 11th grade high school students. I know some that graduate high school and receive degrees at the same time.

28. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

I love hotrodders of tmomorrow it is great and easy money if u can dedicate time. I am almost a year into it and have about 6 grand in scholarships and that doesn't even include nationals. My team is going to sema to compete for a minimum scholarship prize of 7k

29. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

The front end is now of and Done major work is being done