Register now to get rid of these ads!

1947 chevy passenger car steering options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rickyracer1962, Jun 26, 2008.

1. working on a coupe, steering box is all worn out, is there any companies that adapt more modern type steering boxes to the original suspension? thought there was someone making a kit to use vega boxes or something. if not, does anyone know any good places for rebuilding old steering boxes?

2. Flop

Flop

hmmmm looking into the same thing talking to an old timer yesterday about my 47. check out the crazy pit man arm deal the rubber wears out in that .and he ssays there should be 2 adjustments on the box to tighten everything back up i havent looked yet this is just what he said

he said he pretty much guarentees the box isnt worn out .

3. you were right! those stupid pitman arm bushings were wasted! got new ones from chevs of the 40's & it steers great now. thanks!

4. Flop

Flop

was it the double thing ? mines wasted too i gotta change it after i scraped offf 3 inches of krud.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I remember an article in Street Rodder by Pat Ganahl (probably 15-20 years ago) about adapting a '60s-'70s style Saginaw manual steering gear to his '48 Chevy.

6. I wouldn't be surprised if you can upgrade to the '54 roller-bearing steering box pretty easily.

7. rainh8r

rainh8r

I put a Saginaw power unit in my 47 and mated it up to the 47 pitman arm. It worked fine, but you have to make sure you change the steering stops or the box will turn so far the two tie rod ends will bend.

8. Snarl

Snarl

Buffalo Enterprises makes a kit for a saginaw box. There is an article on it over at www.inliners.org look at the "tech tips" on the left sidebar...

9. stegto

stegto
    from Italy

I have tried to call Buffalo Ent. many times but without answer. It seems always closed. Do you know if they have an e.mail and if their kit fits also with 8 cilinders?
    Thanks

10. Snarl

Snarl

Being in Italy, are you trying to call at the right time of day? Did you leave a message?

11. stegto

stegto
    from Italy

Hi Snarl! Thanks for your answer.
    Yes i calculate the time difference and tryed to call in different hours. Leaved also a message but nothing. About the message i am not surprised, calling Italy is not cheap... I need that plate and don't know how to do...

12. Snarl

Snarl

Do you have a welder? do you have a disc grinder? do you have a drill?
    then you can make your own mounting plate. A 1/4" thick piece of steel is all you really need to do it. Cut the plate to the right shape, drill three holes, bolt box to plate, locate box at the proper position, weld plate to frame. This is the condensed version but you should get the idea. If one of the bolts isn't accessible once the box is into position, then you could tap the hole, or weld the bolt in place so it acts like a stud, and you then use a nut from the outside to hold the box to the plate.

As for motor mounts, the box has to go where it has to go, or it won't work right.
    If the box is right across from the motor mount, then go over the top and use a saddle type setup that sits on top of the frame like this
    [​IMG]

13. stegto

stegto
    from Italy

Yes i have all that stuff. Using saddles is a problem, 'cause i had to modify enginemounting brackets that are welded to the chassis. I will make a plate installing the steering box a little bit lower. Thanks Again. I will tell you how it will go.

14. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I put a rack and pinion on a '46 coupe. Because of my own lack of knowledge it bumped steered badly. It could be done right but you need a rack the proper width (which mine wasn't) of sourse you'd have to modify/replace the column too.