Register now to get rid of these ads!

1947 1.5 ton wooden truck bed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jalopyshots, Jan 19, 2007.

1. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

I have a 1947 Ford 1.5 ton truck. It needs a bed. I found an old man that had his own lumber yard and he has a bunch of lumber left over. He has 12’ long 2” thick by 6” wide planks that were cut years ago that were left on the back of a flatbed truck. The wood is straight and level and it has this great gray color to it. So I’m going to buy enough of that wood from him to make a flat bed for my truck (210 + linear feet). The bed will be approx. 12' long and 7' wide. I’m wondering if I should build a head board for the bed or just butt it up against the truck cab? Anyone have $0.02 or pictures to share?
    thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

If you want to acctually use the truck, you need a head board, so your cab wont get crushed. Depending on what you want to haul, the headboard does not need to cover the entire back of the cab.
    What kind of wood is it???

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

also, the head board can be made removable if you don't like the look of it. form and function:cool:

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I would definitely install a headboard. Another suggestion would be to make removable sideboards similar to this COE.
    [​IMG]

5. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

I don't know what type of wood it is, i'll have to ask :)

6. kcolborne

kcolborne

7. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

If it's rough cut saw mill lumber, to do a 7'x12' area would take 14 planks at 12' length or 168 board feet of 2x6. If you do any trimming you'll lose the grey pitina for awhile. Should use Oak for the bed. You'll need some 4x4 for cross supports. Stick with the rough cut from the saw mills and any wood you buy will only be about 1/3 what you would pay at Lowes or Home Depot. I just got, from a local saw mill, 5/4"x6"x12' for $2.08 a board, enough to do a 10x12 floor $41.60 total cost.