Register now to get rid of these ads!

1946 or 47 Studebaker for parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69camaro93, Feb 16, 2012.

1. 69camaro93

69camaro93

Brand new here and hoping I've found the right place for some great information :)...I am trying to find out how do I tell whether a Studebaker pickup is a 46 or 47 model. I don't know where to find a VIN plate and this one is in what I would call non restorable condition. How can I figure out also if it's worth my time to try and part out what's left of it? :(...yeah,gonna have to cut down a small treeline in order to get this old baby back out into the open. Any input info you may have to offer would be wonderfully appreciated!! :D Tks for your time!!

2. It should have a plate on the seat riser. If you can read it. Save it if you can. Parts are not easy to find......I sure could use a fender or two for my 46

3. V P Skelly

V P Skelly

4. Post photos, don't let your skill level blind you to whether or not the truck can be restored or rodded.

5. 69camaro93

69camaro93

Tks for the input so far...I went and looked at it today and the front fenders look pretty good,the hood,the windshields not broken (the two piece glass)the back glass is good...there are 2 rear ends there. I haven't tried to raise the hood yet. The drivers side door is still on the hinge and I opened and closed it,but the passengers side is laying on top of where the bed used to be...the bed is flipped over upside down beside of it and both of those fenders and shot. There seems to be a good bumper there but would need to be chromed over..I can't tell much about the frame cause it's sitting on the ground and the floor panels are gone,but I really wish I could find someone who might be interested to take it and has the equipment and metal works to fix it back up. I just adore old cars and hate to think this one's met the end of the line..
    LOL...wonder if "Pimp my Ride" would do this one for me??? hahaha...

6. 69camaro93

69camaro93

will get pics posted about midday here EST...gotta get some shut eye,but its just really got me interested to find out what I can about the truck...lol

7. mramc1

mramc1

Some of the earlier trucks had the VIN tag on the driver's side windshield post. My '46 is that way and the parts '46 I had was the same. The '47 M-15 cab I had had it on the seat riser. The number plate on the firewall is the body number, not the VIN. Fenders and running boards are available aftermarket in fiberglass. There are front floor pans available on eBay for cheap. Rest of the stuff you're on your own.

8. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Look on the passenger side of the firewall.There should be a tag with M__ and the
    number which may signify the year of the truck there.
    StudebakerTruckTalkForum is a great place,with many like-minded people who can help as well as the HAMB.
    Class Glass & Performance;Cumberland,MD makes a really nice left and right fender(you know they fit front and back on the respective side?) and pickup bed stanchion pockets,if you weld up your own bed? Carl sent you...
    My truck is a multi-year amalgam of parts.Parts is parts for an M-series.The large trucks have the cut-outs on the front fenders for the larger tires and the grille bottoms are notched differently.

Welcome to the HAMB!

9. 69camaro93

69camaro93

[​IMG], [​IMG], [​IMG], [​IMG], [​IMG], [​IMG], [​IMG], [​IMG], [​IMG], [​IMG], I am hoping that these pics will show...I'm kinda technologically challenged with pc's...these are the pics I took with my cell phone yesterday. I know that I will never be able to afford another restoration so maybe you all can give me some ideas on what the best thing to do with the truck is. One pic that shows the passengers side door laying down seems to look like some good framing left there...Also there seems to be 2 rear ends with the truck. The pic with the bed laying upside down on the lower side of it wouldn't load onto the pc for me. I will make a trip back over the weekend to look for the plate and TYSVM for that info ya'll! :) Sherri

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012