Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1942 Buick Special Sedanet 48S suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roadtriprod, Jun 14, 2014.

1. roadtriprod

roadtriprod
    from FARGO ND

I'm gonna start a new project. 42 sedanete. The frame is completely different than the Chevrolets so I don't think a bolt in front end is an option... Has anyone welded a nova in the long rear trailing arms and fabbed a shock mount to fit??? It looks like the rear suspension off my buddys 65 chev pickup... also referred to as a Nascar style??? long arms that extend back from trans x member....
    Any frame swap ideas or ???????? Guessing a Nova front clip is around the corner but..... Wheelbase is 118"

2. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Give JW Garage a call. They should have a MII set up that will fit your Buick. Make sure they know it is a Special. A late 70's IROC or Camaro rear should fit.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You are on the right track....sort of....regarding the rear suspension. The existing Buick diagonal braces are too weak to use for control arms when the torque tube driveline is removed. But, using the Chevy truck control arms is about as easy as it gets to convert to open drive. There are other methods, like triangulated 4 bar, but every other system I am aware of requires more parts, fabrication and welding than the Chevy truck arm style. In addition to being more complicated and labor intensive, the other systems do not offer any apparent benefits over the truck arm system.

As for the front end...that is a bit more complicated. The original front end, when in good condition doesn't drive all that bad, especially when fitted with modern tube shocks. A rear steer Nova or Camaro
    might be worth considering. The later style front steer makes it a bit more difficult to package the core support/radiator and requires considerable reworking of the frame horns to remount the bumper. The rear steer also requires mods in that area, but there is no steering box and idler arm to work around.

Fatman makes front frame clips that use MMII style suspension, which are front steering, but have the advantage of being rack and pinion and do not interfere with core support/sheet metal.

roadtriprod likes this.
  4. roadtriprod

roadtriprod
    from FARGO ND

So you have my ears perked up on using the Chevy 1/2 ton control arms. Have u used them? How tough was it?? I'd also like to incorporate air bags to drop when parked.