Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Merc custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Black Clover Custom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. No on the earlier wire wheels, too narrow and if they buckle at speed you'll have a custom crumpled ball of metal. Don't really have much of an opinion on the rumble seat idea other than I wouldn't do it because it seems like a lot of work for something that works out to be a novelty rather than a practical addition, in other words, I like trunk space.

Black Clover Custom likes this.
  2. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

A custom crumpled ball of metal... Hilarious man. Seriously.
    But your calling it like it is and nailed it when you say that the rumble idea is a "novelty". EXACTLY what it would be to me. I was even thinking of putting in a little briefcase mini bar back there like its a low budget version of a limousine or something. Totally just to enjoy the neat space and have a better seat for the drive in movie!
    So... wouldnt the new repro wires be stronger made today? Its USA steel right? :)

slimcat7m3 likes this.
  3. patterg2003

patterg2003

I like the style of the 41 and up style of Ford & Merc coupes. I save the link to this HAMBERs post by Pocket Nick of Vernon McKeans chopped 46. I like the simplicity of the chop and the great subtle lines of the roof. I had saved the last Rod & Custom as they had the steps to chop a coupe but it required so many cuts and new sail panels and roof pieces formed that it was a lot of work. McKean's method is simple and does not require manufacturing difficult panels to get essentially the same look as the R&C version. I had a chopped 46 style Ford in primer pull beside me one night and then pull if front of me. Really like the look and the crackle of its flathead. I followed it up the street a little further to check it out then the owner stood on it and left. Not a common sight in this part of the world.
    I saved as one never knows what may come their way. This is the link incase there is something of interest in the build. The metal work on the car is well done.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/vernon-mckeans-46-ford-build.982797/#post-11454741

I have been engineering solutions all my life for work and my own projects. Quite often there is a lot of brainstorming at the beginning of the project. A lot of ideas are trotted out and some may seem absurd but sometimes in what seems off there is seed of a notion that works and may be the answer. I have 40 years of design and problem solving and can say that no project was executed exactly as it was originally conceived. Brainstorming and tossing ideas out are part of the process. One of my coworkers was asked to build a pair of beams to run in a maintenance frame in a small tunnel like opening through a pulpmachine. There was no room for a beam of that size, have room for a frame and men so I said run it on stainless cables and he just laughed at me as it being a crazy notion. A couple days later he asked what size cable should we use? Eventually in the process there evolves a direction from the mental soup and sometimes in construction it is tweeked for the better. Building a car is pretty much the same process. It is good to brainstorm all aspects of a project and get feedback as that is part of the creative process.
    You are on the right path and good luck with your build.
    Glenn

4. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

You should put a mini bar in the glove box like I the 58 Cadillac bourgham

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

6. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

That's real? Never knew that... so cool. Steering wheel is nice also.

7. CadMad

CadMad

I have to admit to having a million crazy ideas that I blurted out when I began my build. Some ideas stuck, some went by the wayside. It's a bit like being a chef. You gotta know what ingredients go together.

Eat it, breathe it, dream it. . . Put it out there, listen to the experts, listen to your soul. . . . Gather all the ingredients. . . . Wait a while let it all germinate. . . . Then build it.

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  8. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

I will. Kinda sick of thinking about it a little so thats why I am starting the tear down this weekend. And i just hope that if it ends up looking like a big tamale... it tastes good.

9. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

For a rear step: maybe a flip up one, kinda like a flip up (or flip around) headlight so it wont disturb the lines. (?)

slv63 likes this.
  10. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Was thinking about using the gas filler door like that but on the other side... then it will kinda fool the eye a bit. We'll see.

11. Do you plan to make the rear window roll? Gotta converse with the mother-in-law once in a while you know.. lol.

Dave

brEad likes this.
  12. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Hahaha. You know... that would be the right way to do that. Nobody would expect it. And it would be right. But with a chop like i want the window would have to roll up! Right? No room to roll down.

13. Torchie

Torchie

My 2 cents.
    The rumble seat will work fine. When the lid is closed it will in no way effect the lines of the car which is the main point in doing a custom. I would have some sort of hidden release for it.
    Your idea for a step hidden by the gas tank cover falls in line with exactly what I would do. Just make sure that you don't have to be an Olympic high jumper to get in. :)
    I agree with the non use of the 35 wire wheels. To thin and not enough mass to look right in the big fenders.
    I would chop it and do some subtle body/trim and maybe bumper changes.
    It's your car and your vision. Do what pleases you.
    Here is a pic of my last custom that many people thought was crazy-stupid-WTF until they saw it.
    It is a chopped Ford F-1 cab with a 41 Ford car front clip grafted on. Running boards removed as well as fenders skirts. The bumpers are 49 Plymouth. IMG_2842.jpg
    Good luck. have fun and thank you for your service.
    Heal well.
    Torchie

14. myold88

myold88
    from ct

Back in 1961 a guy in our town converted his new red '60 impala convertible trunk into a rumble seat. I would see him a couple times a week always driving around with the lid open and the top down. So it has been done, but I agree with most here to do everything else first and think about it.

15. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Have stared at your truck for awhile and think it kicks ass. Yes hidden release! Thanks for the idea.
    Didn't start the tear down this weekend... had to go to a friends farm/ranch today. But next week its on.

16. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Wow, a 1 year old impala customized. Yeah i promise not to drive with the lid open. Kinda weird.

17. A trunk full of furniture.

Everyone I've ever known who has gone the rumble route 'for the kids' or 'for the grandkids' gets to regret it. Once everyone has had their ride around the block or fairground, the novelty runs out real quick and you are left with a useless trunk...because it's now full of furniture and opens inconveniently.

I'm not saying don't, but a rush of blood on this idea has the potential to not work out as well as the fantasy.

18. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

totally understand :) but my trunk is welded shut on my car as it is. No handle, no popper. And yes my spare is inside. So i keep a extra thick recip blade in the glovebox incase. trunk is welded on the lower left only.

19. 'Mo

'Mo

20. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

21. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

IMG_1100.JPG IMG_1097.JPG IMG_1101.JPG IMG_1103.JPG IMG_1098.JPG Ok then... Slow going. But I want to do it right and not bust all the nuts and bolts up. Spray with liquid wrench, wait then remove. Then bag and tag.
    Its also going a bit slow because of what i have going on at the house. Thinning for more light! The view is from my shop back up towards the house.
    Tmrw I should have the front clip off and the doors. Even if the hinge bolts are giving me trouble. I will win!

GEBHARD likes this.
  22. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Does anyone know if the hinge bolts on these cars supposed to have nuts on them from the backside? Doesn't seem right to me. Hard to get to and strip easy. Think I will change that on this car to a threaded plate.

23. Torchie

Torchie

Should not have nuts on the back as far as I can remember.
    Torchie

24. You think the cost of a 409 is to much? But you want to build this into a custom that you won't drive?
    I'm confused. Best of luck with whichever way you go with it.

25. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

No no no I will be driving it. Just meant that while its being done i wont have anything to drive.
    And 409's are really expensive. IF i find one i will try to buy it for this car.
    Otherwise a Merc flatty is going in. (still expensive).
    But that's why I am logging this place. Extra cash for a nice motor!

26. Heh heh..I dunno, man. A 41 Merc is a classy piece of custom material for sure. I'd hate to see it built in any way but traditional. After all, this is a traditional rod and custom site. I'm sitting here thinking what I'd do with a rumble seat if it was my car and I believe I'd change it over to a trunk. Besides, if you chop the top and back glass the rumble seat passengers will have nothing to look at but the top...When I was building my 34 coupe I had the opportunity to change the trunk to a rumble seat and couldn't come up with a reason to do it.
    The 409 chevy motor is kinda cool to me but in a custom it'd be attached to a soft shifting powerglide. I'd just as soon use a stock 350 or even a 305, keep the hood closed and use the money saved to pay for paint and upholstery ...
    Chrome Caddy/T-bird/Chrysler 15 inch wires would fit the build ok but ford 16 inch wires? Nah. Take a look at a photo shopped photo of my old 41 Pontiac with painted wires. I think they photo shopped 16" ford wires into the photo...
    These are only my opinions.
    41redwires.jpg

27. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

All good advice man. Thanks.
    But i'm a painter first so that will save even more cash. Lot's to shop for still.
    I have to say that I will have a couple of different wheels for this car anyway... and LOTS of wheel covers too I hope.
    I think I will try to photoshop the wires onto a 41 but your car looks pretty good with them. :) (Black with chrome cap would look better).
    So is a 348/409 motor not traditional? Just wondering. I liked the 39chevy on here recently with the 348 in it. Wanted to buy it but wife said to fix my car.

28. 348s were in the new 58 chevs, and 409s came out in late 61 so.......yeah.

29. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

IMG_1105.JPG IMG_1104.JPG
    Got the front clip off and this is the front section L/R side. Not too bad. Body will have to come off though to fix the front mount areas.

30. wicarnut

wicarnut

Nice property, I also live in woods, mostly pines of different variety, love it, same deal, did remove some trees for some sun access. Your car, Your deal, have Fun and Enjoy ! And IMO, just because you are making it nice, it can Still
    Be a Driver, if you can't Drive it, the Fun will be gone

Black Clover Custom likes this.