Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940's Ranger 440 Aircraft engine clutch/ trans ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 42race, Mar 15, 2017.

1. 42race

42race

I don't want to re-invent the wheel on this project

Any information regarding someone who has ALREADY added a clutch / transmission to one of these .... I am working on a Prewar race car that was built with one of these big 6's, and want to have a clutch and gearbox instead of the direct drive

Dave at OldSchool Restorations North Alabama [email protected]

unclescooby likes this.
  2. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Have a friend with a Model A transmission and 28A multi-disc clutch behind one of these. I'm copying your post and e-mailing it to him. Stay tuned.

The driver has his left hand on the clutch operating lever. Obviously there is no starter. IMCA058.jpg

Max Gearhead likes this.
  3. tractorguy

tractorguy

Great minds think alike.......first thing I thought about when I saw your post was the Cunningham Ranger from Iowa......28Dreyer should be a big help. I also have seen a running Ranger engine displayed at the Iowa State Fair in years past. It was displayed with an antique power group up on the hill in the fairgrounds with other historical equipment. I do not remember if there was any type of clutch/trans setup on it. Also, there was a Ranger engined sprint car in the WAAM Museum in Hood River Oregon when I went thru it several years ago. The people who founded and run the museum are really good people and may be able to tell you how it is configured or share pictures.

4. Wow1 How cool is this? The Ranger was fairly common in dirt track and roundy round racing even until the early 60's! I really admire you tackling this, PLEASE keep us posted!
    A longshot might be to contact Planes of Fame in Chino, they have a huge shop, someone might know something.GOOD LUCK!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There was a Bonneville/lakes roadster that got some magazine coverage in the '50s with one of these...the articles MIGHT give some clues. I have no idea which magazines featured the thing...but I betcha someone here will identify all of them in about 10 minutes.

6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Oooops...my bad regarding the Cunningham Ranger. This response from the owner...

"The back end, actually front end, of the Ranger is quite tapered. Gene fashioned a short housing to connect the in/out box.

No clutch or tranny.

There is a guys in Florida who has a Ranger in a sprint car. It has a starter/ clutch and tranny."

I don't know the car but if you don't have any connections down there PM me for a contact.

My original posting remarks actually had to do with his (the owner's) other car so in the photo, that is the brake lever.

7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Here's another notable Ranger car:

[​IMG]

Max Gearhead likes this.
  8. Jot Horne Ranger powered T roadster.

Hopup-oct-51-pg-030.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stogy, williebill, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  9. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Dave...I've just learned there was an adapter made for the Ranger that fit an early model Ford Transmission or a CAE in/out box. Perhaps that is what you have in the car now.

If not, there is one available up here. PM me if you would like the contact.

10. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you contact Joshua Shaw on here, I believe he has some experience with these

Sent from my SM-G900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. tractorguy

tractorguy

As I am reading all these comments, I am curious what the price range is on these Ranger engines. I have stumbled over one at a hoarders property several times. I no longer have what it takes to build a car around one, but still have thoughts of getting one running on an engine stand and just making noise with it. Does anyone have any pricing/value guesses ? Thanks

12. warbird1 likes this.
  13. If I recall correctly one of the Green Monster drag cars that the Arfons brothers ran used a Ranger aircraft engine.Not sure whether it was direct drive or not.

14. left side.jpg ad.jpg Here's the car, and the motor. In the picture, the dual Strombergs are off, and the intakes upside down to prevent moisture

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017