Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940s Model A Sport Coupe Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mramc1, Nov 28, 2011.

1. PackRat42

PackRat42

Awesome build.

2. mramc1

mramc1

Another great year at Hershey (with good weather!) and I found something good for my coupe. If you look at the first pages of my build you'll see the original doors for the car were cut off and welded shut. Since I didn't have hinges or door tops I sold the original doors to another vendor at the Jalopy Showdown several years ago. I have seen them traveling around since in the same state.

This year at Hershey I came across the doors again. The passenger door was still cut off, but low and behold the driver's door was there with a new top, edges, and hinges. Since I'm trying to leave as much of the original paint on the car as possible I'd been running around with a primered replacement door since I built the car. The primered door was weathered and looked ok, but having the original door back on the car would look so much better so I bought it back.

Check this out.

[​IMG]

Bam!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    Stogy, brEad, firepilot and 1 other person like this.
  3. a world of difference very nice score

4. mramc1

mramc1

This winter I have been slowly working on the roof section. Started the rough body work back in Decemeber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since the roof is compiled of about 10 different pieces it took a months worth of sanding to get to to this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm doing the roof in textured paint to similate a vinyl look. I first applied a Rustoleum brick finish.

[​IMG]

This gave me the texture I wanted then I sprayed it dark brown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The entire roof on this car is a custom combination of sedan door tops for quarter windows, coupe rear section, and pickup edges. I also added the moulded detail line to break up the top from the rest of the car. I'm trying to similate the look of a Special '28/29 coupe roof, but all in metal. I think it came out pretty good.

5. mramc1

mramc1

Since winter is apparently never going to end I took to the streets last week for some winter wheelin'. The old, hard bias plys I store the coupe on in the winter sure are down right SCARY in the snow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pista_510, kiwijeff, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  6. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

wow, greatr build. You're driving around in the snow and I've still not dug out my garage door! good on ya!

Stogy likes this.
  7. quickrack-alan

quickrack-alan
    from Ireland

I have to say I love your car.
    Where I live there is almost no hotrod culture or material but I think even the little of this and bit of that, that I have seen but left behind in the hope of scoring a "good" base, could be made work. Thanks.

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks like another great car bumped back to the front page! I'll have to refresh myself on this one this afternoon when I get a chance.

Today is our first day of below freezing and those shots of the car in the snow are making me a little more optimistic:)

9. This was a great read.
    I'd like to see how the cars looking now. Any chance of an update please?

10. mramc1

mramc1

Not too many updates. Been driving the wheels off the car. Just picked up an 8BA and have a 59A on the way so the 2.3L might get swapped out if one of the new flatties is a reliable runner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a video of the coupe in action. A real hot rod hill climb. Washed out seasonal road, open exhaust, and a 150 ft drop off.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Pista_510 and Stogy like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool! Did you end up running 700/16 all the way around?

12. mramc1

mramc1

6.00-16 on the front, 6.50-16 on the rear.

Tim likes this.
  13. I am in need of your advice. I hope you don't mind. I have a chopped 1929 model A Tudor and need some advice on the windshield. I managed to cannibalize 4 or 5 rotted windshields to make one good one. I now have two good hinges but when I put either together with the windshield in a manner I believe they are to be positioned, the windshield fits firmly on the car frame and is reluctant to open (but will). I am confused because I look at youtube videos on the net and see windshields so loose that they are swinging in the breeze. I don't think it is a question of oiling or greasing. It seems inherent in the design that the windshield wants to stay firmly closed. Why do others appear to swing so freely and mine won't ? Please advise.

14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

the problem probably is the pins in the hinges are trying to rotate in different axis.if you had a long pin long enough to pass through the two hinges it should pass through the centre of both hinges. without having to force it in.,in theory