Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 rear axle application

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shelby69500, Nov 8, 2015.

1. shelby69500

shelby69500
    from michigan

So I have a gentleman that want to sell me a 1940 rear axle. I have a 35 tudor sedan. Any benefits with putting this in my car and also is there a lot of changes? keep in mind my car is stock with Mech brakes.

2. Tom-MI

Tom-MI

[This is a "yes" and "no" proposition. The '40 axle is most likely a 3.78, your '35 is probably a 4.11. Going to a '40 would be a big improvement mileage-wise. As for slipping the '40 assembly under the '35, everything will match up. I have done this several times. The downside I don't think you could hook-up the '35's mechanical linkage without a lot of "backyard engineering." Why not just convert everything over to hydraulic brakes and sleep better at night?

Tom

3. shelby69500

shelby69500
    from michigan

Oh I would convert it, just doing my research for cost. I would like to put steel wheels on it and thought maybe the 40 axle would help

4. I will have to take Toms (post #2) word on it for the fit issues since I am not that familiar with the cars in this period. You should definitely check out the gear ratios in the two rear ends. It would be nice to go from 4.11 to 3.54 but unless you check you might be going the other way. Also what is the condition of your present rear end? What is the condition of the ’40 rear end? Why is it out of the car? Remember you might be buying into a set of problems. Also remember that it is easy to bolt on a set of later brakes on your rear end. If the rear end is cheap enough you might want to buy it just for the brakes.

Final thought, if you want steel wheels (I like the wires) just buy or make some adapters or as some people do grind the humps off of your wheels (I have never done it but have read that it works).

Charlie Stephens