Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Plymouth Coupe Build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Dec 14, 2009.

1. plmczy

plmczy

Glad everything is falling into place for you. Car sounds real good.

2. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

3. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks man, have you been working on yours and wasn't I supposed to take a picture of a brake pedal for you? Can't remember :rolleyes:

4. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks Mopar Jack. It's getting there for sure

5. farmer12

farmer12

Yes, a daylight video! Sounding and looking good!

6. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

sounds great, can't wait to be there myself. Congrats on the milestone- it RUNS!

7. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks guys!

Isn't it funny that a lot of these 40/41's are popping up and we all follow eachothers build threads like a cult. We should make a social group haha.

I think sometime this week I am going to install my power break setup and see how that works. I will also try to get a couple other things setup as well. More pictures to come.

8. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

Sounds great! I'll be over to see you, I'm ready to take a ride.

9. plmczy

plmczy

I haven't worked on mine(40 dodge)for awhile. I'm in the process of rearranging my garage and adding more outlets and working on lighting so I can get serious about building mine. I've had the car for 7 years now and have done some work on it. I need to get another photo sharing site so I can start a build thread of my own. I used to have pics saved of ideas for my car but a couple hard drive crashes lost them all. I'm now using a alternate backup so that wont happen again, lol. If you get a chance to take a pic of how you did you brake pedal setup, I'd like to see how yours is done. I'm planning on using the power brake setup out of a 79 chrysler lebaron. Thanks for your time and inspiration.

10. plmczy

plmczy

It's nice to see these cars getting some attention. I like to watch(sounds sic doesn't it lol)how others are building theirs and we can toss ideas back and forth on each others cars. There is alot of info out there on chevy and fords of this vintage, but virtually nothing on these mopars. Thank goodness for the internet and the hamb so that we can all come together from all over the world and share our ideas, our triumphs and failures, and such so we may save some of ma mopars vintage tin, learn and make new friends.

11. 1959apache

1959apache

I use photobucket.com for storing my pictures. over 1200 pictures on the truck, close to a thousand on my MG Midget, and a couple hundered on the Plymouth.

I will try to take a pic tonight for you if I can.

12. farmer12

farmer12

A Happy New Year to you!

13. 41cup

41cup
    from MOJAVE CA.

that is a nice 40 it look sweet .i have a long way to go i have a 41 coupe/ truck i call it the 41 cup someone started it then i pick it up .so here i go .but i need a set fenders . so if you see a set out there let me know. see pic.

14. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

15. thinkfink

thinkfink

are 41's allowed too?

16. 41cup

41cup
    from MOJAVE CA.

Jest pic up 41 coupe / pickup i call it the cup ! 41 cup if anyone knows enything about it i found it on the side of the road with a for sale now its mine, so if you can help me find out why someone would do this to a car. Let me know . But it looks kool so a'll work WITH it ! See my pic .one more thing whats with the senior member? And how do you become a member ? Hope to her from you all?

17. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Go to the top of the page and click on the "The Alliance" in the red header, pay your $50 bucks and that makes you a member plus you get great discounts from all kinds of vendors..check out the Hamb Alliance vendor list..

18. 1959apache

1959apache

Don't you steal my thunder..... :D:D:D

To answer your question 41 cup it was probably a farm vehicle and someone put the bed in to use it around the farm (I am assuming that is what you mean by pickup/coupe). To answer the other question the more you helpfully contribute (posts) you get a higher ranking. If you are here for the right reasons, understand the rules, what this site is trying to keep alive, and generally like what you see here then you pay $50 bucks and help support the website by becoming the above stated member.

And thank you for the compliments

19. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

I just picked up a 40 Desoto.. and wondering if it has the same dimensions as the 40 Plymouth as far as the body? I can tell the grill is a bit different. It is mostly stock and trying to decide what to do with it.. Chop/No Chop, Keep original flathead inline 6 engine or go with V8.,.??
    Also wondering if the front suspension is teh same as the 40 plymouth?
    Since the car is also completely free of rust and bondo Im wondering if I should attempt to restore it as original as possible and sell it and find another project car. I have been warned by friends that the car is way to clean and original to chop and customize it.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/mcerda972/1940desoto.jpg

20. 1959apache

1959apache

desotos are rare man, I wouldn't molest it, but that is me. definitely no chop. What is wrong with the engine/drivetrain? If you could salvage using the original engine then do that. All mopars of this year are pretty close to the same on body style, but each had different speed lines on the front fenders, different grills, and slight changes on the hoods, but all are pretty much the same shape. The tail lights and possibly back windows may be different as well. As far as the chassis I wouldn't be able to tell you as I have NEVER witnessed a desoto up close.

really nice looking car though. I am really jealous of that one....

21. jbtine

jbtine

The grill in the Desotos is badass. That will make a good ride. My 41 Plymouth is about the same save for a few fender lines and that grill. I attached a picture of a 41 Desoto that I took at the hotel I stayed at in D'iberville Ms during this years Cruisin the Coast. Everything about it looks right.

Attached Files:

22. thinkfink

thinkfink

The desoto (wheelbase 121.5") is a bit larger than the plymouth (117")...suspension should be IFS and very similar to the Plymouth...and for sure good enough to keep if it still works.
    more infos are here.
    www.carnut.com/specs/gen/soto40.html

GREAT car btw.:D

23. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

Thanks for the info..

24. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Anything new on your ride 59apache??

25. 1959apache

1959apache

Which one?! haha. We'll I have been going on a lot of job interviews and have been searching for a job, so the cars are kind of not getting all the attention they deserve right now. I think the fact that I have had to replace three water pumps and three power steering pumps on my pickup, without even driving it yet has put a bad taste in my mouth (all were leaking, broken, not working out of the box). I will be getting back into them soon because I kind of miss it and summer is coming up really soon. :p

On the Plymouth I need to buy a bunch of little $10 crap like brackets and such to get the engine and tranny the way I want/need it (but money is tight). I also have been contemplating getting a donor frame because the subframe that is in it is a joke, but then again that costs money. I have a couple big prospects coming up soon as far as jobs, which means more money I can blow on the '40. Nothing really so far on it though :( it makes me sad.

26. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

I understand,, guess the bright side is it gives your mind time to build and plan out the details in what you want to do when the funds will allow...I build and tear apart my cars in my mind daily..LOL

27. toolz1175

toolz1175
    from IL

I had a '40 DeSoto coupe many years ago, sold it in '90 to a friend after my son was born. I thought I needed a two door sedan for more room for the boy, so I got a '41 Plymouth. Still have it, but it looks like it's leaving next weekend. The friend who bought the 'Soto ended up scrapping the frame, cut out the floor, and welded in a complete '80 Thunderbird floorpan. Made a unibody DeSoto out of it. The wheel openings had to be moved a little, but other than that, it fit like a glove. He drove the car for a lot of years, but haven't seen it (or the owner) for quite a while. Never seen another car done that way.

28. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

Good Luck on your job search! I'm sure you'll find a good one. Making good money makes working on cars a lot more fun!

29. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

did you find any work yet? we need to see this plymouth completed! looking good.

30. 1959apache

1959apache

I did, I just landed a job not too far from my old work just yesterday! I start Monday, so that means more money in the bank and then I can get rolling on the coupe again! :D