Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Ford Transmission oil?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FORD3W, Sep 23, 2010.

1. FORD3W

FORD3W
    from australia

Guys I Have a 1940 Ford Transmission with Zephyr Gears
    I was wanting to change the oil and would like some info on what oil would be best?
    When the car gets warm it is hard to get 1st gear, I would like to try a new oil before the gearbox has to come out.
    Thanks Marcus

2. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

3. 41PICUP

41PICUP

I use 140 weight.

4. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I use 85w140. Remember it's non synchro first so you have to be at a complete stop before you can go into first gear.

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Most of today's gear oils are rated for use in modern cars. I was looking for some for my 46 MOPAR 3 speed and did some looking on the web. There are several cautions about today's formulas not being friendly to Yellow metal, as in synchros and balking rings. If you can find it you want to get an oil with a API GL 3 or GL4 rating, GL 5 has to much anti shear additive that attacks the yellow bits. I found some GL 3 rated stuff at Tractor Supply Company. But that was a couple years ago. You might be able to fid the GL 4 rating in Synthetic products.