Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1940 Ford Sedan Glass Installation - Regulators Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dragynn, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Dragynn

Dragynn

Hi,
    I am now at the point where I am cleaning up the original regulators for my 1940 ford Sedan. It is chopped 2.5 " (by previous owner). I am looking for any info regarding a couple of things:

1. If I search the rear regulators I don't get any usable info. Usually they point to door regulators. There is some info on "Quarter Regulators".... same thing? I understand they have the ability to slide back after full close to allow air flow. The regulators I have appear to be bent (? - the rail that holds the glass is not "level"... up down not left right... maybe straight is a better description? ) but again I can't find pictures. Any help appreciated.

2. The regulators I have are original - anyone have a part number I can search to get replacements (or maybe it is better to refurb what I have) - suggestions on a refurb kit?

3. anyone have a link to a good guide for installing all the glass (including windshield and rear window) I have all the seals (bob drake) but they will need to be modified for the chop... I'd prefer to learn from others mistakes :).... its usually cheaper....

So I know it's a pretty big ask... all help appreciated... I am at the very start of this part of the journey

Peace

Jon

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Dragynn

Dragynn

Hi,
    a for interest only video <Click here>
    A bad video but it is "first Run ever" and to be honest I was surprised it fired up first time...usually things don't happen this easily... camera not ready.... so lesson learned.... not timed yet and the valve train needs to be adjusted...
    but still a milestone reached :)

Peace

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

The regs are all steel and can be repaired fairly easily. Clamp them in a vise, lubricate moving parts and crank each one through full travel looking for slop or binding. Repair as needed. Lay out and compare side to side to look for differences in them. Straighten bent parts, tighten up loose rivets etc.
    My last glass install was long enough ago that I won't comment on it except to recommend applying vinyl electrical tape over a smoothed pinch weld to prevent damaging the new rubber as you pull over the pinch weld.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.