Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 Ford SEDAN DELIVERY Info: Good, Bad, & Ugly

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Apr 30, 2017.

1. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

also my 54 was chopped 6" to make things even worse

2. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

So, have you bought it yet ?

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Bob,
    Have a NOS rear fender for a 40/41 Sedan delivery for sale. Second mortgage on house should cover it. Can bring to Rhinebeck :rolleyes:.

4. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Some times I just go around the block and start over which is easier than pounding out a rare fender.....

mkebaird, 302GMC and olscrounger like this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

[​IMG]
    Hello,

In further research, that yellow, chopped, 40 Ford Sedan Delivery was originally built by Chip and Sam Foose in 1994. Then refreshed by Divers Street Rods in Washington in 2009. No wonder it looks so radical and sleek.

Jnaki
    Moose? Would you want to draw some Nomad windows in the rear side panels to make it a custom 40 Sedan Delivery WAGON? That would be extremely cool...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    exterminator and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. ahgarageohio

ahgarageohio
    from ohio

Anyone know how many gallons the stock delivery gas tank is?

7. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

I owned a 1936 Ford SD. Loved it. I had side mirrors and never had a issue. These are vary rare and the fact that its a 40 you will in my opinion never lose out value wise. Mercuryguy

8. WDobos

WDobos

I've owned and have been driving my 1960 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery for 46 years and one BIG thing I have learned is when lane changing to the right lane you do what I call the slow right hand drift.

greener200 and LOU WELLS like this.
  9. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The stock 1940/41 sedan delivery gas tank holds 10 gallons so plan your trips...

jnaki likes this.
  10. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not much help on details or specific hints about them but I think if you have the chance to buy a solid one, get it. Had the hots for 'em ever since seeing this baby at the Street Rod Nats back in the 80's.
    Blind spots and special parts be damned, '40 Ford deliveries are just cool!

[​IMG]

11. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I have been following this thread for some time. I have a 41 PU and I love all 40's and my favorite SD was the one built by John Hesford that he: showed, drag raced and land speed raced it. It had a blown 460 Ford for power. I think it went to the Mid West.
    But back to the thread,, this photo below has been shown a number of times, but something about it bugs me.
    Here is the photo>:
    [​IMG]
    Its the roof drip rails,,, SD's only have rail over the doors, whereas the Panel Truck have them running down the whole roof. Now I understand this it to be a Foose, but still it has a Panel feel to it with the body sides and the drip rails and maybe he added them for a roof 'line"..
    Am I wrong??

Joe Lemay and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

My buddy has one he would probably sell for the right price. He was thinking same thing as you. Nice vendor car when he sets up at the shows.
    IMG_59341.jpg

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

14. jnaki

jnaki

Hey T,
    Yes, the added roof rails does not look like a standard 40 sedan delivery, but for this car, the whole side view is different, so that drip rail goes well. Plus if you want to carry modern longboards on the roof, a drip rail is necessary for the racks. They certainly don't fit inside...

Since the design of the door is also changed, I wonder if "The Moose" could not add in some Nomad windows to make it a one of a kind 40 sedan delivery wagon... is it possible, Moose?

We would love to own this one if it were a one of a kind, station wagon. Gone would be the dreaded, right side, blind spot and it would be such a cool cruising wagon. We could also get used to the overly large wheel set, too.

Jnaki
    We drove two different, but similar in looks, 40 sedan deliveries over the years and eliminating that blind spot would be so nice. Plus, we would have the only, one of a kind, 40 Ford Sedan Delivery Station Wagon around...

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  15. 343w

343w

What ever happened to the purchase plan? I too am in the process of getting a 40 delivery, this thread has helped with all the advice..

kidcampbell71 and LOU WELLS like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-6-8_8-18-40.png
    Hello,
    As a former owner of 2 different but similar looking Ford Sedan Delivery cars, you must really like the enclosed feeling when driving. Being a teenager, it was the whole world with the freedom to drive anything and everywhere. So, nothing bothered us. But, the second sedan delivery that my wife and I bought to fix, needed lots of work to get it smooth and functioning.
    upload_2020-6-8_8-19-14.png At first, it was wonderful with a 327 for power versus the 80 hp Flathead in the first one. My wife liked the A/C most of all, since she was going to drive it by herself. Boy, did she ever! Over time, she kept saying she needed a larger passenger side, outside mirror. At the time, there were those mirrors that were about a small 4x6 inches that would have worked. They just did not look good on the 40 sedan delivery. So, those cool small, round mirrors stayed and we tried to work with it.

Daytime driving was OK, but still that right rear solid panel and small rear door window did nothing to give us a wide open arena to see what was outside. It also did not allow us to see what was surrounding us while driving. A greenhouse is what most want in a street driven car or station wagon. Both sedan deliveries, as cool as they were, did not have that greenhouse look all around the vehicle. That was the number 1 thing my wife did not like about it. It also started to bother me during our night time road trips and just cruising around.

Jnaki
    So, after owning the second 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery for 5 years, we gave up and sold it to a young 20 something couple. We really liked the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery look over any of the sedan delivery models and it is one of a kind. There were plenty of GOOD features, the blind spot was BAD, and there is no UGLY in any 1940-41 Ford Sedan Delivery hot rods... It is just a very cool design and style. Privacy is a plus...

The sedan delivery that is for sale in the HAMB ads is one we would purchase, as it has all of he amenities that we would require for current cruising. It would make daily driving, great, once the "locked in place" is over. It looks to be well put together and the accessories/overall build looks very solid, too. That blue sedan delivery would fit nicely in our small two car garage.
    upload_2020-6-8_8-29-51.png YRMV

17. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Have Driven 1940/41 Ford Sedan Delivery "Blind Spots" For 54 Years And Just Pay Attention And Enjoy... 70414176_2485417578171058_4968622625635958784_o.jpg

18. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

The yellow Sam Foose built SD was chopped and sectioned. The "drip rail" was how he chopped it without doing a lot of body work, that was where he chopped it and he put the drip rail in as a place to weld it together and not have to finish the whole side of the car. It was originally built for a realtor in Redding, CA. and was the second custom delivery he had done, and the most refined. The first one was for a retired airline pilot from the San Francisco Bay area and was blue. Sam and I were friends and he explained it all to me when I visited him while he was building it.

I've been driving my delivery for 36 years and have learned to drive with the blind spots. I have a 4" convex mirror on the passenger side hinge mirror and really don't have any problems. If I need to change lanes to the right, I usually try to pass the car that is there and move over when I can see it in my inside mirror. The doors are not the same as fordor, but are the same size. The upper corner rounds off slightly on a fordor. Side moldings are SD only as are rear fenders and back door. Original passenger side tail light stand is impossible to find. Spare tire resides inside the back door below the floor. If using a regular car gas tank, the spare tire well must be removed.

19. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Excellent Information And Appreciated...

343w likes this.
  20. Not a 40, maybe a highly modified 38-39 body with 40 fenders, hood, grill, and cowl? I like it:cool::cool::)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. redo32

redo32

Nope. 40 body. Took a lot of crown out of the roof and added drip rails like Foose.

kidcampbell71 and 2deuces64 like this.
  22. fordflambe

fordflambe

Blue one is mine..........thanks for looking!

She is a sweetheart and I hate to see it go but I am trying to finish another project before I sunset.

jnaki likes this.
  23. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

noticed the other day theres a rough one on craigslist in sarasota fl 1995.00 with title its kinda complete but a project for the dedicated
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. fordflambe

fordflambe

My original gas tank was toast and I knew I was going to drive the car, and I am 6'3" tall ......so a combination of factors led me to relocate the gas tank. Since the frame on the delivery is same as Coupe/Sedan, I Put a car gas tank between the frame rails just like the car tank would be located.........holes were there, hardware from one of the aftermarket suppliers, etc. Only other modification was I put 46-48 gas filler door in driver side rear fender.

Only problem with this is you lose the area between the frame rails where he spare tire well goes.

flames.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    jnaki, LOU WELLS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I got mine, a very straight one, for $75. I sold it to Art Himsl for $125 and thought I screwed him. He did too. I'd pay twice that for it now.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  26. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

You Are Wise To Ask For Advice Concerning "The Rolling Blind Spot" 40 Delivery Whereas Many Of Us Like The Body Style Enough To Just Jump In The Project FUN IN KIMBERLY 2016 026.JPG And Enjoy....

loudbang, lurker mick and fordflambe like this.
  27. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

28. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

29. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

30. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65