Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Ford Panel Delivery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Jan 30, 2015.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello Teb
    Thank You, I try to keep all the time same goal on my mind; "Old style. different, but very simple style is timeless" .

Wheels were baby-yellow and I repaint those 1-2month ago. I know that those very wide Lester whitewalls and RAL 1013 -cream colour wheels looks little strange, but,.... my pocket camera not gives right colors (brown is darker etc). I have also Trimrings, but not want to use because rear wheels are not original 40´s wheels and trims must be must be more wide than normal rims.

I paint grill using same RAL 1013 and maybe still pait steeringwheel same color. gauges are very near same color.

Maybe little same colour to straips or text (hot rod shop,...) bots sides and I like also blue text in ford emblems (hood sides) and need to handpaint same colour Ford text in Front emblem too.

Fulton sunvisor center will be brown, and if I get sides enough good (sunvisor was junk when I bought it. Only 200$), I polish those,.... .

Seat is maybe black. I have not seen it. I bought it last summer from Sweden and maybe next week my friend bring it to Finland. Its from 1936 Ford Cabriolet. Seat is patin, but I have keep patin cargo area, back doors inside, engine room,.. Dash need to pait, because it was "russian red".

AULIS

2. Mikel50

Mikel50

Looks Great ! Love the wheel and tire color myself. Can't wait to see it all together with the pin-striping and logos. Great job !

3. tevintage

tevintage

Hi Auliz:
    Thanks for the reply. It is all looking great and we look forward to your updates. TEB

4. AULIZ

AULIZ

Tuesday update.

Question; what is that California 1942 lic. plate "top" which I have bolted on rear?
    I have hear story of those narrow lic.plate tops, but have forget it.
    Have seen sometimes those in California swapmeets and bought one.

Aulis

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  5. Mart

Mart

Hey, Auliz, the panel looks great.

6. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Really turning out nice.

7. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs.
    Today good day continue in garage (rain, rain, rain,...). start to install electrics, gauges, lock and window mechanisms inside doors,......

AULIS

8. AULIZ

AULIZ

dash wirings.
    Im using 1941-47 Ford wiring sets which works after small changes.
    Same time change all from 6V to 12V.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Auliz I saw the panel when it was sitting in CW Moss's yard and I must say that you have turned it into a very nice vehicle.
    I sure wish it was mine.

10. AULIZ

AULIZ

You´r correct! Same car from Orange CA. More welding than I expected, but positive supprise very much (engine, frame, tranny, new tires, good steeringbox, only few missing parts, good gastank,....).

I ordered new Walker radiator, some small parts, and recromed shiny parts before shipping car to Finland.
    First 1-2month feels that Project is never going foward, but if work 5-6hours day, it final comes faster,....

while have done changes/building my 32 cabriolet. It gives extra "boost" to continue with this "night train" -rod.

aulis

11. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Your panel is looking great!

12. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Instead of sending out new plates, you would get the 'new year' topper to bolt over the previous year's top. the 42 top would cover the 41 year.

13. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You for Your info.

Is it so that old cars get "new year topper" in year 1942 and new registered cars get new 1942 lic.plates?

14. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Remember that the USA was going to war at that time, and lots of steel was being redirected to the war effort.

It is my guess that the CA DMV didn't make any (or many) full 1942 plates, and was doing its part by using the new topers to issue and/or renew registration on any old CA plates that were available. Can anyone back that up?

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  15. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You for Your lic.plate info.

We had war here too. Russia (CCCP) try to come here and take Finland, but our soldiers keep them another side of border over 4years. All industry and agriculture helped and made as much as possible stuff to battlefield.
    Government had also right to take all cars, horses,...and we lost 80% of our american cars. Mostly they want to take 4d cars, pick ups, panels,...and unpractical cars like Roadsters, cabriolets were safe.

Turn signals installed. Not so good outlook (rear),....but our law says that all cars need to have turnsignals. Front I changed parklights to Turnsignals.

Maybe tomorrow get glasses, if they are cut those. Seat is still in Sweden, that is biggest missing part.
    Some small parts coming from CG early ford store and MACs.

AULIS

Attached Files:

Model T1 and volvobrynk like this.
  16. AULIZ

AULIZ

Glasses, channel kits and seals installed.

This week arrived two small shipment included some missing parts (emerg.brake cable, 12V voltage regulator, generator fields,....).

While we drive 5w coupe to yearly inspection and get "stamp" to use car next year.

Aulis

Attached Files:

17. She's a beauty! Very interesting color combination on the wheels.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. AULIZ

AULIZ

Panel delivery is coming ready step by step. I have been busy with my dayjob.

1936 ford cabriolet sofa was arrived from Sweden and I installed it. Very high backrest!
    Good patin and I leave like it is.

Also installed 12V fields to generator and now old 6V system is "updated".
    Fields + 12V voltage regulator arrived from CG Ford before my Lappland trip.
    Works good and easy install all. 2hours + 120usd parts.

Antenna arrived in same shipment, looks good and hope that it looks good after I have installed Fulton sunvisor.
    Need to cut patch panels (3mm plywood (1/8")) and paint black. Rear Windows need to install.
    Steering wheel was very bad condition. I have used epoxy and metalputty. Tomorrow I sand it down and paint same colour like wheels and grill.

AULIS

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  19. v-v

v-v
    from Finland

tell me more about that generator update!?!?

20. AULIZ

AULIZ

Shifter boot installed, seat works fine.

Fulton sunvisor is welded (cracks) and I polished it as much as reasonable.
    Fulton was not good condition, but it was only 200.00USD. Value of that money, but not 100% good.

Tomorrow, Monday, need to paint steering wheel, fulton parts and maybe install sunvisor.
    Oskar is testdrive his original 50´s Ferrari pedal car. Ready for race!

Aulis

Attached Files:

Model T1 likes this.
  21. AULIZ

AULIZ

sunvisor installed.
    Center part of Fulton and steering wheel painted same colour like wheels.

Now need to have 4-5days Holiday. Cabriolet is ready for trip. Tomorrow to Sweden.
    European Championship Drag Racing, Ford Swap, Hot Rod meeting,...

aulis

Attached Files:

Model T1 and volvobrynk like this.
  22. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Wow, looks great! Lots of nice details.:D

23. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks. It´s for go,.....if all works good. You never know old cars and middleaged women,....

AULIS

24. AULIZ

AULIZ

Panel delivery registered. Monday I get register plates.

All Instruments are work good. I installed 12V-> 6V converter,...
    Had very much problems to get generator and voltage regulator work, but finally today I get all work.

I was change fields (12V fields to 6V alternator) and 12V regulator. Normal generator polarizing didnt work and I pieced generator 5-10times, used Ohm meter and try to find what is problem. Nearly bolted on new Powermaster alternator, but finally all works. While I think, new regulator is not work,...

Rounded Generator 2minutes using battery. Generator took maybe 500-1000Rpm and after that "test drive" mounted v-belt and installed wirings.

AULIS

Model T1 likes this.
  25. Mart

Mart

Nice work, Auliz.

Mart.

26. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Mart.

Few pics coming later

aulis

27. killbilly

killbilly

Its probably a good thing it's like "tank" or you wouldn't be working on it! It would have rotted away years ago.

28. AULIZ

AULIZ

You´r right.

Here pic with Finnish Licenseplate. I ordered same lic.plate but colours turned (back with white text), coming during next 2 week. Now need to drive, drive and drive. Ring and pinion is high. Top speed is under 100km/h (50-60mph).
    I have 3.25 ring and pinion on stock, next winter need to change .

aulis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  29. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Congratulations! That was a quick build. I hope you have a great time driving it!

Kan Kustom likes this.
  30. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You.

Aulis