Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 Ford flathead "no spark"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edd, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Edd

Edd

The truck is not here ..heading over there later. Truck is positive ground, new coil and points, power to coil when key is on.

I suspect something with the points (grounded?), nothing I have worked on before but (1) distributor (2) distributor caps, (2) sets of points, (1) coil on top.

Understand that someone installed the points and now no spark, hench the new coil...any special procedure setting up this ignition? They have a condensor mounted on the outside.

Thanks

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

If you have power at the coil (-) terminal, your ignition is probably fine because that's where the coil's power comes from.
    Check if you have power at the points. Check the ground wire on the opposite side of the coil (+) terminal, and follow it to the distributor. The wire frays inside the distributor and grounds out the moving plate. This causes a no-fire situation at the plugs. All the plugs. When checking the coil be sure the points are closed.
    Does the coil have an internal resistor? Or happen to have any other resistors wired into the ignition system?
    A 6 volt coil will run for a while on 12 volts then fail.
    Use a 12 volt.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Personally I'd just send the whole thing to gmcbubba to be worked over and set on a sun machine.