Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 ford exhaust with sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PONTNAK123, Feb 11, 2016.

1. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am building an old school 40 ford convert with sbc and chassis engineering engine mounts with a borgesion 525 manual steering box . I have sanderson cc4 headers that dump between the engine mount and the steering box. I have speedway motors 2 1/4 stainless steel exhaust tubing kit. I am ready to start fabricating the exhaust. does anyone have pictures of finished exhaust with this combination. thanks rick !!

Attached Files:

2. I used a truck manifold that points in the same direction those headers do, tough to get the pipe to make the bend out of the manifold, turn around the steering and oil filter then thru the cross-member. Thinking that may be interesting doing that with the collector off the headers. Don't have a good picture tho; but these may give you idea.
    pipe 1.jpg pipe 2.jpg

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rick--sent you an email--have two like that here--will send you pics

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sent you some pics--watch the location of the front CE motor mounts. Have found that they need to be moved forward 3/8 to 1/2 inch for better fitment all around. Here are some pics--not very good--last two have a straight down flange with less clearance but work OK--been on my 40 8 yrs 1st pics are with Sandersons

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016

5. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thanks rich b and olscrounger !!!!!!!!! this is what I was looking for.. thanks again !!!!!!!!

6. @RICH B I noticed on your manifold you didn't use the donut style gasket. Any problems with exhaust leaks? I'm just now beginning to think through the exhaust on my 40.

7. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

can you share the pics? thank you

8. Looks like a 2.25" heat riser gasket.

9. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'm running those headers too and I've talked to Sanderson about this. For the life of me I don't understand why they have the passenger side header so tight against the head that the plug boots are literally touching the header tubes on numbers 4 and 6 I told them there isn't really a need for it to be that way and the drivers side is fine they need to make the passengers side header come outboard like the drivers side does. They told me they would send me a new header for that side like that but I had already had my exhaust done by then and bought the ceramic plug boots to solve the problem. If you haven't done your exhaust yet you should look into this.
    Passenger side
    image.jpg
    Drivers side
    image.jpg

10. Haven't run this one yet; but I've been doing exhaust like this for years with no problems. I always use the gasket with the fire ring and they seem to hold up just fine. I did use some of the red high temp silicone on the gasket this time as my friend had some laying around at his shop.