Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Ford Deluxe hubcap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by texkbc, Dec 25, 2013.

1. texkbc

texkbc

2. Buy em from us the price is better...check our posts....

3. texkbc

texkbc

Do these mounts with clips or the inner bumps on the orig. ford wheel?

4. Original wheels don't have clips. The wheels have 'nubs' on them that grab the cap. I will say that it's nearly impossible to get them on without denting. Take a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder at cut a slot in the backs of the cap at 12 and 6 o clock. this will allow the inner lip enough flex to get over the nubs without much force, so you won't accidentally dent them.

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

They will mount to the bumps but they'll need some massaging with a pair of pliers to make them fit.

6. texkbc

texkbc

Ok, thanks for the tip.

7. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Anyone else have any tip/tricks on getting these hubcaps off without messing up the paint on the wheel??

Attached Files:

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I use a brake adjustment spoon with a paint stir stick as a cushion where the spoon lever contacts the wheel to get the leverage coming up away from the wheel.

9. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Good idea! thanks

10. b-bob

b-bob

I also use the brake tool, but use a small block of wood as a cushion. Same idea works well with patience.

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ford OEM toolkits from 1936-48 came with a tire iron that has a special end for exactly this, and it works well. It has a curved blade at about 90 degrees from the handle and a roll/bump right behind that as a fulcrum...just cover the fulcrum area with electrical or friction tape to protect paint. This page has a picture, the left end of the long iron:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertlz/1808974200/

Note that the end you need is on a bunch of irons with different lengths...the pic shows a late long one from a car with hydraulic brakes, earlier ones are shorter and some have a hole for adjusting mechanical brakes. The hubcap end is what you want on any type lever.

Bob Drake makes a special tool, which looks a little over-the-top complex:

http://www.bobdrake.com/ItemForm.as...Category=528ae21e-9931-472a-8aa3-11ebd3c96410

Using what Ford put in the trunk in 1940 seems a very satisfying and traditional way...

12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dirty Doug, Tommy and Bruce gave you the right info. Done a bunch of 40's and use similar methods-Just be sure to get the right caps as there are several manufacturers and the caps are NOT the same as to how they fit and snap on.

13. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

I use a small flat head screwdriver. Bent it 90 degrees in a vise, the used heat shrink on the shank... Doesn't matter much though, unless I've got a catchers Mit its hitting the ground, mine tend to come off fast...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have two dented 40 Ford caps in the shop from Speedway, no matter how careful I was they dented real easy just pounding them on. Even used my fist in a heavy glove and hit on the edge and still got dents.

The 42 caps on my 27 have been on and off a million times over the past 25 years (also Speedways) and they never dented once. Something about the shape or thickness of the 40 cap.

Don

15. .......Bruce, I bought one of those Drake tools kinda on a whim and you're right, it looks sorta complex at first but, it actually works quite well. Tommy has a great idea and most folks probably have the brake tool already in their toolbox.