Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1940 dodge flat six into 42 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chewie1, Aug 9, 2015.

1. chewie1

chewie1

Hi
    am i correct in thinking the engine and gearbox from a 40 dodge will fit into my 42 plymouth

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

yes with the exception occurring if the Dodge has a fluid drive unit. They have deeper bellhousings and longer input shafts on the trasmission. The Dodge engine should bolt to you Plymouth trans if it is FD by swapping the plymouth bell and trans parts to theDodge. Both engines should be 218's. Dodge went to the stroked version (230) in 42.

3. chewie1

chewie1

ok great thanks for the reply
    it is the engine and trans i'll be putting in

4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Won't fit if the dodge is set up with fluid drive. You need to determine that before you get much farther along.

5. chewie1

chewie1

it should be fine then as this has a 3 speed trans on it
    it is from a one ton truck but that won't make a difference will it?

6. chewie1

chewie1

will other makes fit as this lead on the dodge engine seems to be going cold now :(

7. chewie1

chewie1

found a 31 dodge engine and 3 speed now is that pretty much the same?

8. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

No! 35 and up were same block casting 34 and earlier different. Note for future reference, the Fluid drive component is not the transmission. Chrysler used several different transmissions behind the fluid drive unit. The 3 speed was common till 49 or so when Dodge introduced the semi automatic Gyro matic. Both the three speed and the gyro matic were installed behind the Fluid drive unit. The fluid drive has a dry clutch but that is driven through the fluid coupling. You need to measure the depth of the bellhousing on all Dodge sourced drivetrain stuff. You might want to limit your search to 42 and newer (to 59) Plymouth. Don't look at Chrysler or DeSoto as their engines are 2 inches longer and will not bolt into the Plymouth without some crossmember and radiator location modifications.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. chewie1

chewie1

ok great thanks for all the help

10. chewie1

chewie1

you don't happen to know of any for sale do you?

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Plym_46 obviously knows his Mopars and has given you excellent information.

But I have a question for you (the OP)........why do you not have a location with your profile and avatar display? This is one of my pet peeves with so many HAMB forum members. Do you all think it's "cool" to be mysterious about where you live........or, maybe you are in hiding from the Feds??

Not knowing what region you live in makes it a bit more difficult to make sensible recommendations for goods and services ......like a flathead Mopar six, for example. You really don't want to be shipping one of those 2000 miles.

Ray

12. 10-4 on the above,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I know of a late flathead that might be available

13. chewie1

chewie1

There you go Hnstray all filled in now
    Not that i was hiding from the feds or anything just a bit slow at filling forms in!!

14. chewie1

chewie1

how late an engine is that

15. I'll check,, but freight would kill ya',

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Chewie was your Plymouth made in the US or Canada? I ask because a lot of American cars sold in Commonwealth countries were actually sourced from Canada, because of preferential import duty treatment.

Canadian made Plymouth and Dodge cars and Dodge trucks, used a special version of the DeSoto/Chrysler engine with reduced bore and stroke.

Measure the length of the engine at the cylinder head, the smaller engine measures 23 1/4" the larger, 25".

There is a number stamped in the block, just below the cylinder head, at the left front of the engine. Look for a raised pad above the generator. The engine number will further identify what you have, it may not be the original engine.

The same flathead engines were used from 1937 to 1959 in cars and light trucks, and in some special applications as late as 1972.

Caprice89 and Flat Six Fix like this.
  17. chewie1

chewie1

freight would be to long beach cali...

I'm not sure where the truck was built I just brought it from the US last week
    It sadly has no engine or trans in it right now
    how can i tell if it is a american or canadian truck?

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If it came from the US it must be the US model. The ID plate on the firewall or door post will have the information.

What kind of vehicle do you have? And what do you plan to do with it?

19. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

There are lots of non automotive sources for Mopar Flathead 6 engines. Don't know if they got to england or not but Clark Tractor made all kinds of ground support stuff for Airports. Plane tugs, powered boarding stairs, ground APU, Generators, Baggage conveyors. and Baggage Cart tractors.

Many of these get surplused and sit around airports for years. You might want to check around for such equipment that might be in your area. They were also used in Agricultural equipment, lots of Massey Harris (Ferguson) combines and other harvesting machinery was powered by Chrysler Industrial engines. You also should ask about Kew engines. Chrysler had a large assembly plant near Kew Gardens they assembled engines from parts as it was cheaper import duty on parts as opposed to assembled components. (See what location information opens up)

20. chewie1

chewie1

It is a 42 plymouth pick up 1/2ton planning on putting a stock engine back in and driving her
    But then again would it be easier just to stick a 350 chevy in it?
    I think i'd rather go stock
    plymouth.JPG plymouth2.JPG

21. chewie1

chewie1

great thanks you are full of really helpful advice

The truck has not left the US yet so can still put stuff on the back
    found an engine and trans on ebay #151774951290 but the guy is reluctant to deal with me as I'm in the UK
    Is shipping expensive for this kind of stuff in the US the one i found would have to go from
    Monroe, Michigan, to long beach cali.

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Really neat truck! Congratulations on your find. PLEASE do not go for the 350 Chevy.:eek:
    If you do not keep a stock engine, at least use something a little more creative. A UK six
    cylinder or Rover (nee Buick) V8.......:D

Ray

23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Plymouth is a rare truck, but basically the same as a Dodge with slight trim differences, or as they say in Britain "badge engineering".

Engine was the same flathead six used in Dodge and Plymouth cars and trucks 1938 - 59. There is a larger flathead six used in DeSoto, Chrysler, Canadian Dodge and Plymouth and also used as a marine engine and industrial engine to1972, and in military Dodge Power Wagon to 1968, and in 1 1/2 ton and larger Dodge trucks to 1962.

They made millions of these engines and they will all fit your truck. The transmission is a 3 speed that was used in millions of trucks.

I don't know where you could find a suitable engine, trans, bellhousing and clutch in the UK. But, there were MANY vehicles that used them. These engines are not difficult to rebuild, in fact almost blacksmith like in their simplicity, and all parts are available through normal channels.

As an alternative, you might consider a diesel engine and gearbox from a late model lorry. Anything with 100 - 150 HP would be suitable, and with similar weight, size and power characteristics to the original. With the advantage of lower fuel cost, and easier to get parts and service.

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you do consider a modern diesel power plant you will want one similar in size, weight and power to the original.

The flathead six was 85 - 132 HP depending on year and model. Weighed about 600 - 650 lbs. Closer to 800, fully equipped with accessories like generator, air filter, starter, bellhousing, clutch, and transmission.

The design of the engine compartment is such that you have plenty of room, except that the steering gearbox gets in the way of V8 engines. Inline engines are generally a better fit, unless the starter or exhaust pipe is awkwardly placed.

It would be a good idea to replace the rear axle with one matched to the power plant, if it is a suitable width. I am thinking here of taking engine, trans, and rear axle from one vehicle like a transit van or similar.

A diesel would be more in keeping with the personality of the truck, and would not over stress the steering, brakes, and drive train the way a big V8 would.

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Monroe Michigan to Long Beach is about the same distance as Cornwall to Ankara Turkey and slightly less than Cornwall to Halifax Nova Scotia.

Engine weighs 600 pounds or more, and yes they are expensive to ship.

Have you considered buying a better truck, one that has an engine? And one that can be shipped from the East coast?

Monroe Michigan is much closer to New York than it is to Long Beach, and New York is closer to Cornwall.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  26. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Luv it Man, very cool truck as it stands.
    Good advice on this thread, nice flathead 6, hopped up, dual or tri carbs headers/split exhaust, shaved or aluminum head, and cam grind to match.
    Drillmaster Tommy is in the UK, is into these engines, and is on this forum......good luck...

27. chewie1

chewie1

I can't really see me putting a chevy in it
    I'd much rather keep it stock

28. 73RR

73RR

Mega points to you!
    If you can get someone to load an engine and trans into the bed of the truck then there should be only a minimal change in the freight charge. The 'problem' will be getting it done before it hits the freight forwarding company as they will not likely entertain any such operation at the dock.
    As for availability, there should be plenty of good engines/trans in So-Cal but where is the truck?

29. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

car and truck bell housings are different. The car belhousing mounts to a cross member that mounts and locates the engine. The truck housing bolts to the frame rails and also has the mounting points for the clutch and brake pedals Car pedals mount between the frame and the bell housing.

30. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Hi there,

I have a '42 Fargo. You Plymouth must be a '41 as that is the last year that they were made. If I were you I'd join the '39-47 Dodge/Mopar Trucks Registry at Yahoo groups. This is TahE place for info on these trucks. There are a few members in the UK and there are bound to be parts available over there for a lot less money. One member is "Gordon" , I forget his last name, he is in Scotland and knows a LOT. Good luck!