Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Desoto Coupe coming home.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txturbo, Nov 27, 2014.

1. txturbo

txturbo

I have a question for the guys with V8s. What did you do about the steering box? Looks like it's right in the way.

2. txturbo

txturbo

3. txturbo

txturbo

4. George

George

One case where sub frame comes in handy, a lot more room. A buddy has an early Camaro on his '41 Plym & I have an 73 Cutlass in my '48 Plym. I had to move the steering column left a little, but other than that my 331 Chr, a bit wider, fit in nicely.

5. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Dude, no rodent engine.......PLEASEEEEEEE!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Depending on which V8 your installing, (with a Mopar small block) you can shift the motor & trans 1 1/2" to 2" over to the passenger side and the exhaust will clear the stock steering. If your installing a different V8, other things will probably work, these cars have had lots of different motor/trans combos installed in them. The chassis is basically the same used on all Chrysler products from 39 through the early 50s. Do a search here for 46-48 Plymouth/Dodge. Hours of info will come up.

A Cavalier rack & pinion steering fits in these cars fairly well and opens up some extra space.
    Count me in with the group that likes Mopar Motors in Mopar cars. Gene

7. A 40 DeSoto coupe! I am sooooooo jealous. For years I've been working on a buddy of mine who has a 40 DeSoto coupe to sell it to me but it has so much sentimental value to him he won't budge. Love the beautiful grilles and headlight doors. Great top line too. My buddy's car is factory black. Damn, I want that car.

8. txturbo

txturbo

Well......it might be for sale if the money's right

9. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

I was looking at this coupe last year... how is the progress coming?

10. txturbo

txturbo

Very little progress so far....I bought 10 acres to put a shop on so I've been moving all my stuff around. Probably wait until the shop is built to start working on it.

Krash Vegas likes this.