Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Chevy business coupe stock car...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkboy, Feb 8, 2004.

1. junkboy

junkboy
    from Las Vegas

Hey folks, I found this 'ol girl out in one of the yards I comb. I wanted this thing bad...just because. It's only 700 bucks with a title. yes a title. I have the money but not the space. factory rear end sits on leaf springs that are welded solid(old stock car mod), original flat six block is present but probably no good(oil pan is rusted through at the bottom as well as the dust cover on the tranny), no interior, swiss cheese floors [​IMG], solid dash with clock. This is not a car I'm selling. I stand to profit ZERO if it sells to whoever. I just figure the poor girl paid her dues on the dirt...maybe a HAMBer with a little imagination could put her back on the road. It's almost ended up in my driveway four times in the last two weeks but my neighbors would have my ass [​IMG]. Any one lookin for a project???

Attached Files:

2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Buy it, put in another blue flame and gearbox, fix the floor and fit one bucket seet and use it!!!

bitchin start for a NASCAR ROD (tm)!!! [​IMG]

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

umm ya know you can just replie to your own post with the pix then you dont have 4 differnt posts with the same car on it ect

4. junkboy

junkboy
    from Las Vegas

sorry Tim, I'm still new. and dumb and stuff. [​IMG]

5. junkboy

junkboy
    from Las Vegas

How do I fix that so I don't upset the rest of the crowd [​IMG]

6. junkboy

junkboy
    from Las Vegas

nother [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

just click i want to add an atachment to my post like you did before , but do it when you replie.

then go to your other posts, and click edit and then click delete

* yeah like that*

8. junkboy

junkboy
    from Las Vegas

one more [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. junkboy

junkboy
    from Las Vegas

I got it. sorry bout that. Three pics on one post. It's amaaaaaaaazing [​IMG]

10. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

WTF is wrong with you??? for $700 you can find space for it!!!

11. BLEH

BLEH

Too late...it left on a trailer today [​IMG]

12. long island vic

long island vic

got a pic of the panel behind it in pic 2

13. I've lusted for a 40 chevy coupe for approximately 146 years. I will have one before I croak off. If you'd have bought it, I could have stored it in your grandparent's driveway, Junkboy. They insisted I park the Rocky Goodtime van there until the snow goes off. The "snow gestapo" wants all cars parked on the street to be moved every 24 hours and they're enforcing it but this diatribe is completely off topic, ain't it? Check the van parked in their drive in the photo....
    Wish I'd known about that lil' chevy coupe a few weeks ago.................

Attached Files:

14. junkboy

junkboy
    from Las Vegas

You are right Yorg. Shoulda, woulda, coulda [​IMG]. And Rock, I just figured you had your hands full with Poncho. BLEH, we probably pass like ships in the night all the time at that place! [​IMG]. Now, let's get busy with the projects we have and forget the ones we missed [​IMG]

15. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

ah HA, I have now WITNESSED the infamous "Rocky Goodtime Van(tm)" I can die in peace now!

16. Not 'till you ride in it....

17. BLEH

BLEH

Junkboy...your 56 was my 56 and the cars in the corner of the yard you picked it up from are mine [​IMG] I'm glad you got it going. You should catch up with some of us here at the doughnut shop on Trop & Mountian Vista every Sat. morning.

long island vic, the panel is a early 40's Dodge. I think he wanted around $800 for it.

Chris

18. av8

av8

It's a '39, Rocky. The car reminds me of Fangio's road-race Chevy that was restored a few years ago, at great expense and with questionable quality to the work, judging by all the trouble David E. Davis had with in during the California Miglia. I've heard that he's since sold the car although I can't imagine why; Fangio is one of Davis' major heroes, and he certainly doesn't need the money or the space.

I could find only an image of model of the car, but please note the similarities, including the BALCARCE signage (different location) and the hood straps.

19. av8

av8

Rocky -- Should have added that there is a 1940 Chevrolet Master Deluxe coupe for sale locally. It's near complete (missing the driver-side running board which mught be in the trunk) and appears to be reasonably sound. It has fairly fresh wide-whites and the look of a project in which someone has lost interest, although it's parked in an RV storage yard, so maybe it's just a matter of not anywhere to work on it. The asking price is $8500 which seems a bit steepm, but I'm not familiar with old Chevy prices. If you're interested I'll shoot some pics and get you the contact info.

20. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

is it possible that David E. Davis built a replica and somebody just picked up the real thing for &700? [​IMG]

21. av8

av8

That thought crossed my mind, Yorgatron! Wouldn't that be a hoot. Now, imagine the new owner hasn't a clue about the significance of the signage, hood straps, and trimmed fenders and just wants to turn what he thinks is an old hardtop into a street rod, finding good fenders, and then patiently installing and festooning a 350/350 drivetrain with the appropriate billet bits, giving it one of those sculptured twead interiors, and paint color selected by a wife who couldn't care less about his hobby but will by god insist on her input if she's to approve the expenditures.

22. Mike...thanks for thinking of me but I can't make myself pay $8500 for a project AND................this 41 Poncho coupe is "the one".. I steadfastly refuse to buy or accept another project until it's done and driving with it's new running gear under it. I'm in the selling mode right now...
    I think it's a riot that Junkboy ended up with Bleh's old buick and they've never met.. Especially since Junkboy ended up with my old Ford pickup a few years ago...it's a small HAMB world.

23. av8

av8

Rocky -- The '40 seems a bit pricey, but I didn't know what they are worth.

I think I've sussed the '40 Fangio-style coupe (that I foolishly said was a '39 earlier). It's entirely possible that the car is a legit Argentinian road racer. Balcarce is a city and a province/state/district/county in Argentina. It seems reasonable that there would be other '39-'40 Chevies road raced at the time of Fangio's coupe, and cars from a particular area, throught the world tend to share certain characteristics, like the way the fenders are trimmed, or the way the hood is restrained. They aren't identical, but similar. I think, too, if a transplanted Argentinian was cloning Fangio's Chevy as a tribute it would have been painted red and sported the correct placment of the signage (and been the correct year). The same would be true if the car were built as a movie prop.

Or I could be dead wrong . . . I certainly was earlier. [​IMG]

24. av8

av8

Boy, is my face red! The LV Chevy is a '40 for sure, and not a '39 as I said in my "correction" post.

FWIW, crow tastes like chicken.

25. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

dammitt, I so woulda bought that...