Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1939 Ford DeLuxe Glove Box Lock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Coleman, Oct 15, 2019.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman

I think 39 Ford Standard are different from DeLuxe? My glove box lid still has a two inch wide (or so) chrome plated glove box lock casting ( held onto the lid with two screws from the inside of the box). Some one pulled the lock ass'y out, leaving just a ring finger size hole through the casting. I hear that the (available) 1940 repo's are different from 39's (seemingly unavailable), but as things like car parts usually just evolve, I wonder if Ford just discontinued the visible chrome plated casting (on the visible side of the lid), and kept using the 39 lock, with it's round stem (that originally stuck through the 39 casting). Maybe Ford just stamped some kind of recess into the 40 glove box lids?? I do not have a 40 lid to look at, but pictures of the 40 repo lock assy' do show a stem that sticks toward the passenger compartment. Kind of looks like such stem might go through my casting, and might be made to work??.

If any body, having a 40 glove box lid & lock apart, could measure the dimensions of their locks, I could really use that info.

I wouldn't mind having a good closeup exploded view of a 39 lock, along with some dimensions if any one had that??

2. 39 ford standards have no glove box lock. The lock cylinder may be completely different as a 39 das and 40 dash have no similarities other than that they fit in the same space.

3. GeeRam

GeeRam

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but, I'm interested to know what type of glove box lid catch a '39 Standard does have, as I bought a '39 Standard dash off ebay some years back to go in my '32, and when it arrived from the USA, there was no catch or anything on the lid door top/dash, so there's no way to keep the lid closed....and no the time has come to sort something out as the car is getting close to being finished.

4. Deluxe
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Standard. Note catch on the left (I think owner added)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It also uses two of these springs which hold the door open or closed.
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.

5. GeeRam

GeeRam

My standard lid doesn't have that catch on the left so would agree that's an owner mod.....
    How do those clips work the, and where do they go?

I'm think about modding a domestic magnetic door latch see if that will work.

6. Like I used to say to my children "This may come as a shock to you, but I don't know everything!"
    I have a 38 dash, but it is totally bare, so no clips to tell a story. All I know is the Standards without a locking catch had no catch at all, just the springs to hold it closed. I'm sure a certain aisle at the hardware store will have a range of solutions. (Some more agricultural than others :D)

7. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

They are tuff to get on with out scratching paint, easiest way I did it was to leave the mounting screws loose till I got the springs on. Thought I would cut my fingers off but if I can do it you can. 39gloveboxsprings.jpg

8. GeeRam

GeeRam

A picture tells a thousand words as they say.............all is clear now, thank you.:cool:

Algoma56 likes this.
  9. Ah, thanks. That explains the shape of the middle part of the hinge!

Algoma56 likes this.
  10. I only have one spring on mine and has worked fine keeping it closed for a few years now. not sure if thats right or not, but thats what it had when i took it apart.