Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1939 ford coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Menace11, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Menace11

Menace11
    from Australia

I just bought a 39 ford coupe, its got a late truck flathead sitting in it but engine mount holes in water pumps don't line up with holes in chassis, anybody know what is the problem is and how to solve it. Grateful for any help. Thanks Denis.

2. carmuts

carmuts

Possibly it had a 60 hp in it originally. I am sure someone will chime in with how to remedy the problem. I have not worked much with the 35-40 frames. Rod

3. Menace11

Menace11
    from Australia

Thanks Rod, I'm wondering if I need to change water pumps?

4. carmuts

carmuts

I think the cure is to change the frame motormounts, not the pumps. I am trying to remember if the motormounts are part of the front crossmemeber or seperate pieces. The pic's of my 37 I have looked at are not that clear. Rod

5. carmuts

carmuts

Looking at the pic's in my AV8 ablum it appears the motormounts are part of the front crossmember. You may have to change it to make the later flathead line up. Also as far as height you may need to get the 8RT waterpumps or use the spacers that are availiable. Rod

[​IMG]

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A picture would help here. The '37-'48 85/100 hp pumps sit on biscuits and bolt directly to the front cross member. Late '48-'52 truck pumps have the same spacing and mount height as the '37-'48 car pumps, but similar looking '49-'51 Mercury pumps have the mount legs located higher on the castings, and mount holes are spaced 1" wider overall.
    The 60 hp mounts would be obvious, as they were brackets that were riveted over the 85 hp cross member mounts and extended towards the rear about 5".

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  7. carmuts

carmuts

Good point about the Merc as I had forgotten they were wider. I was under the assumption the engine was narrower than the mounts, but I can always assume wrong without pic's. Rod

8. Menace11

Menace11
    from Australia

Thanks everybody, forgot to mention it is a mercury motor so V8 BOB your explanation seems like that's the problem. Will try to add pictures asap. Can somebody tell me how to add pictures, new at this. Gap between pump holes is approx. 22.5 inches also sump looks too close to front crossmember. I think being a mercury motor is whats causing the problem.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  9. Menace11

Menace11
    from Australia

Any one else got any thoughts on my problem, would post pictures, but can't work it out. It's a bugger getting old.

10. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Others can probably help more, but you'll probably have to change the water pumps and the oil pan. There's a thread posted on all the diferent pans used on early and late flatheads.
    Now, If it's a Standard or Deluxe makes a difference too, as the Std had a generator mounted fan and the Deluxe had a crank mounted fan.

11. Menace11

Menace11
    from Australia

Thanks for the replies guys. Engine has EAC & MERCURY on the heads, far as I know 49 -53 motor, fan is on a pulley running of the crank, holes in pump are about 1 inch wider than c/member holes and flanges on pump are about 4 inches higher than c/member, radiator has cowl attached to it which makes me think it came out of some kind of truck, has skinny fan belts, wish I could show you pictures. I'm in Dandenong Victoria if anyone can help. Thanks everybody.

12. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

I think it only requires a pump change but I'd go to the barn and ask the question.

13. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It seems you have '50-'51 Mercury pumps and possibly engine. Are the pulleys 3/8" wide and staggered, with each one using a separate belt? Are the crank pulley sheaves stepped and cast iron?
    If so, you can use the '49-'51 Mercury "U" mount brackets that locate between the pump arms and frame mounts. This will save you having to change to '48-'52 truck wide belt pumps, along with wide belt fan and crank pulleys. :)

14. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

15. Menace11

Menace11
    from Australia

Thanks everybody for the info, the pictures sent show my problem exactly. At least now I know how to fix the problem. Appreciate all the help given. Also V8 Bob, any ideas where I could get those "U" mounts, and yes my belts are staggered etc. On the right track now.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Speedway used to sell those "U" spacer mounts. They look like this.
    You could make a pair if you have a welder,etc.

Attached Files: