Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1939-40 Mercury Kustoms. Pics !

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Feb 15, 2005.

1. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Not mine I'm afraid! Thats John's from over here, the same guy doing the Holden FX custom. I think he might be a member on here but you would have to ask one of the other Melbourne Hambers.

This is his site, http://www.kustoms.com.au

2. Rikster

Rikster

I have always loved the shape of the 39-40 Mercury's one of the best styled cars ever... in my opinion. A great many have been turned into great looking customs cars. Mostly based on coupes and convertible.

The sedans however have wonderful round shapes especially in the rear portion of the body. I have always wondered why not more of these sedan bodies or even the four door sedan bodies have been used to be turned into full custom creations.

For long I have been thinking about different version of the ultimate 39-40 Mercury sedan body custom. This week I found a nice photo of a slightly customized sedan and decided it was time to go ahead and create a few photoshop versions of my own custom... well my on custom in my own dream!

The 1939 Mercury photo I started with.... not bad to look at, but I had different idears. (photo found at: http://public.fotki.com/Kustombuick/)

[​IMG]

Chopped top with a little more taken out of the back. repositioned and shortened rear side window. The trunk was angled foreward a bit for a more pleasing flow. molded fenders, skirts etc....

[​IMG]

I always loved early time custom cars so on this version I removed the runningboards and added some ribbed George DuValle running board covers which go perfectly with the ribbed DeSoto bumpers, and added stainless steel rock guards to the rear fenders.

[​IMG]

Or perhaps a set of full fade away fenders would look really well. Perhaps better than on a coupe or convertible...

[​IMG]

My good friend Wolf Christiansson ("TinWolf") suggested me to try a well balanced 3-window coupe based on the sedan. The original 5-window coupe has always been very popular with customizers, but one very nice feature of the sedan, the gorgiously shaped rounded window openings where never used on the coupes. So this coupe used the doors and window openings of the sedan, with angled foreward B-pillars.... somebody needs to built this one...

[​IMG]

All work is just roughed in to get a first impression... more idears will folow, fine tuning of the idears will come later.
    I'm still looking for some good photos of a stock 39-40 4-door body, since I want to try that version as well...

BigO likes this.
  3. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

cant wait till i start the chop on my chevy.love 39-40 mercs

4. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

some one gotta have a pic of donnies merc conv from the american cruiser, won at lead east lasty year

5. Custom54

Custom54

Here is my buddy "gearheadforever" 40 Merc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

This chopped Merc coupe was at Run to the Sun last year. They kept the stock roof line on this one......

[​IMG]

7. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Mick......

Thanks for the info on the DeSoto bumpers. Guess I've never seen a stock DeSoto from that era.

Rik.....

Here is a picture of a 4 door from the ass end. I'll keep looking to see if I can find a shot from the front. This is a local car and I've probably taken more pictures of it.

[​IMG]

8. ARCHANGEL

ARCHANGEL

RIKSTER..... GREAT PHOTOSHOP.....[​IMG]

9. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Here's the ass end of a chopped convertible.....

[​IMG]

10. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I think they were calling this a Merc.....

[​IMG]

11. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Here's a picture of the front of the 4 door taken 6 years ago with my old camera. Sorry but the resolution really sucks.

[​IMG]

12. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Bump because I have a craving for them right now, just seeing Mercmaniac's 40. God that thing is awesome.

13. Rikster

Rikster

Just posting the photos for fellow Dutchman Dutch Deuce...

His 1939 Merc... and yes its crying for a chop....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the engine...

[​IMG]

14. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

Rick, your website is amazing.
    computers sure have made it a small world.
    Now a 39 Mercury in Holland with a Hemi.... who would have thought?

Are there qualified people there that could do a chop on it? If you could import anyone from the states to do it, who would it be?

great website, you must eat sleep and drink these cars.

15. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

PM "choppa" he just joined up. Or look for his post in the intro section

16. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

[

Are there qualified people there that could do a chop on it? If you could import anyone from the states to do it, who would it be?

Geeeze! Where you been? They have some of the best metal men and painters any where in the world in the Scandy Countries

17. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

oh, I'm sorry I forgot Holland was a Scandy country.

oops no I didnt, its not.

18. Oldschoolhotrods

Oldschoolhotrods
    from san diego

19. Thanks Rikster for placing my photo's above

Yes there are man in the Netherlands who can do a nice chop or other custom tricks.
    I will take care of the chop myself (maybe with some help)

My 69 Beetle was chopped 5 inches in 1992 by myself and is still running 15 years later and even survived the Dutch wetter since it's sleeping outside for the last 10 years

So hopefully the only 39 Mercury coupe in the Benelux (belgium, netherlands and luxembourg) will be a lot lower soon

(Correct me if i'm wrong that this is the only 39 or 40 Mercury coupe in the Benelux)

20. dons t

dons t
    BANNED

VERY COOL MERC CUSTOMS

Attached Files:

21. dons t

dons t
    BANNED

more cool mercs

Attached Files:

22. xhtc

xhtc

23. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

[​IMG]a couple of pictures of my 40 merc I sold several years ago[​IMG]

24. Grunion

Grunion

[​IMG]Here is one I did some work on for Rick Dore.

Toyjunky, Ranchero59 and 62hotcat like this.
  25. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

Did you just do the chopped top or build the whole car? I am just wondering who installed the Caddy steering column?

26. 38pickup

38pickup

We did the chop, some other body mods, the windows, made the windows go up and down , etc. Jim Fine (original owner) installed the the coulmn. I have the column that he installed at the shop right now. The new owner changed it to different column after it was sold.

27. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

here are a couple of images of my old 40 Merc that i sold several years ago

Attached Files:

28. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

A 1940 Mercury post card postmarked Feb 7 1940 for Hollywood Running Board Trim. Sold & Distibuted by Forshay Bros 245 W 55th St NYC. Will one of you NYC customs guys check in thier attic for any NOS ?

Attached Files:

29. jonnycola

jonnycola

We need some more pictures on this thread....