Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1938 vs 1939 Chevy Truck

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RocketKing, Jan 15, 2016.

1. RocketKing

RocketKing
    from Ozarks

I've been a late 60s truck guy for awhile but I have been looking for something different since so many of that era are being built. I have gotten interested in the older versions and have found both a '38 and '39.

Outside of the cosmetic area what are the major differences? I believe the cab on the 39 is bigger, right? Is one "better" than the other or does it just come down to individual taste?
    Just looking for information any facts or opinions anyone has would be appreciated

2. inthweedz

inthweedz

We (my son and I ) checked out a 39 truck a month ago, here in New Zealand..
    Looking at the cab size, I would say they are possibly the same size.
    The 37 has a one piece flat screen, whereas the 39 is a two piece, angled screen..

3. RocketKing

RocketKing
    from Ozarks

Interesting. I thought I had read somewhere the cab was taller and wider on a 39. I hadnt even noticed the windshield! Thanks for the input!

4. 'Mo

'Mo

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    nunattax likes this.

5. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Try this site Type in the year +GMHeritagecenter .com to compare hope this helps you out, this is my 38 IMG_1017.JPG

nunattax and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Joe H

Joe H

'37-'38 are the same with grill and hood changes. '39 is different cab, hood, fenders, and frame. '39 is very similar to '40, in '41 they switched again and kept the style through the war till '46. '39 may be slightly bigger then '37-8 trucks, but not by much. Drivetrain will be the same.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. RocketKing

RocketKing
    from Ozarks

Thanks for all the help and especially the pics! Man, both years are great looking, tough decision.

I did find this articles: http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/history/chev_segment3.html

It state that there are some differences in the cab sizes...
    however it also says that the 39 is by far the best looking truck in Division history to that point. lol

That's the way fights start! lol

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Pictures, is important.
    Pictures, or it never happend.

9. bubba55

bubba55

The late'36 ( has wood in it ) '37 & '38 share same cab size - '39 -'46 same - check Jim Carter out - has info on these trucks - be aware of sheet metal parts differences - some is hard and $$ to find - good luck

10. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

RocketKing likes this.
  11. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

my opinion is the 39 and 40 are a much better looking truck. looked for one for years , found my ford and built it .

12. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I like the 39 and 40 more but i am a little biased:)

13. 'Mo

'Mo

Well, that explains the "40 CHEV" license plate! LOL
    Certainly, the 1937 trucks had the same sveldt, Art-Deco styling of the beautiful passenger car offerings of that year.
    The grille's the same, but check out the load capabilities of that babbited, spray oiled, first generation 216!

( Note also the one piece wind shield, as inthweedz pointed out.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  14. RocketKing

RocketKing
    from Ozarks

Amazing! Gonna have to keep this pic.

Fellas, thanks for all the help. I hope everything works out that I can get one of these old girls and hang around to learn a ton from you all.
    I like both styles but since I am 6'4" I may need all the room I can get! Lol

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

iva 38 half ton(still under construction.)from looking at pictures I would say the 40 windscreen is taller..legroom is tight in a 38.two ways I found to compensate for this raise your seat height,thin out the seat back,move the throttle pedal to the right as far as practical.i also moved the brake pedal to the right of the column.(auto trans).im under 6ft
    but its still tight in there
    as far as I know the 40 dash has vents in the dash for defroster,39? ,38 has not

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  16. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

My son has a 40 3/4 ton long bed (he loves the length), but of course it is lowered and pretty nice. We looked at several 39s along the way and cosmetically they were about the same as the 40. Seems like there is a difference in the upper grille bar and I am pretty sure the 40 upper bar is not reproduced. Lots of costly things to buy as you restore one, so buy the most complete one you can. Not much reproduced on the interior either.

17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND