Register now to get rid of these ads!

1938 Chevy steering...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustang, Nov 28, 2011.

1. rustang

rustang

hi all, I have an all original chev. 1/2 ton pickup chassis that is all original and complete with the original steering box....

i have kind of a dumb question (i have not started to take it apart) but here goes... how does one separate the steering shaft from the box (take the column out)?

i see where the shroud comes loose, but can only assume that the box needs to be taken apart to get the shaft out?

Tom

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

The shaft and box are one piece. The box is removed by pulling it out forward under the the truck.

3. rustang

rustang

Thanks.....was hoping that it would come apart in some fashion, but if not, that's OK too... :)
    Tom

4. The steering shaft is one-piece with the box. Just as Truckedup said, remove the steering wheel and then drop the column out the bottom pulling the steering shaft through the firewall. The outer tube can come loose, but the inner shaft is connected to the box.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I don't think any cars/pickups prior to the late 60s had a 2 piece steering shaft with a "rag"-joint in it at the box.
    Mustang/Falcon didn't do the change until 1967-68 and likely neither did the big Fords.