Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Ford Pick-up help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The Indian, Apr 28, 2014.

1. The Indian

The Indian
    from oklahoma

I picked up a 1937 Ford pick-up as part of a trade this week. It's a running driving project with a sbf on a custom built frame. I have a an issue with it though. As far as I know the only vin's on this era of ford were stamped on the frame rail in three places and on the transmission bell housing. Which presents a major problem seeing as it only came with a bill of sale and the original frame/drivetrain are long gone. Normally I wouldn't have a problem here in Oklahoma with out documents (title 42 mechanics lien) but I need a vin to go off of and the local tag agency isn't being much help at all. I really would like to keep this truck. Its a damn good truck and I don't have hardly anything tied up in it at all. Would anyone have any ideas on how I could get a title for this truck? Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

2. The Indian

The Indian
    from oklahoma

Ok, well today after becoming completely frustrated and pissed off at my local tag agency. Who told me I could not register the truck without a title for each vehicle I took a major components from to build the truck. Which made absolutely no logical since at all(at least to me) and after beating my head against a wall for a while, I bypassed them completely and called the "Oklahoma Tax Commission" and to my surprise they were actually helpful! So I thought I would pass the info along to my fellow Okie H.A.M.B.ers. My local tag agent had completely misinformed me about titling a car that was being built from parts. When building a vehicle here in Oklahoma aka God's country, one only needs to have a notarized bill of sale and/or receipts for the major components of the vehicle being built. These include the body and/or cab, frame, front end clip, rear end clip, engine, and transmission. In my case the frame was built from box tubbing so I need receipts from the metal supplier or chassis builder. Once you gather all your bill of sales/receipts and have them notarized, you print out an "Assembly of Vehicle Affidavit" from the Oklahoma Tax commissions website or your local tag agency should have some on hand also. The form is pretty straight forward, you simply list where you attained the major components for the vehicle, attach your bill of sales for each piece, list vin and/or serial numbers of the items ( if the the body has no vin simply check "none"), list the total cost of all components utilized to build the vehicle, sign the bottom of the form, have it notarized, take a picture of the vehicle, and mail it to the "Oklahoma Tax Commission Motor Vehicle Division Title Section." Then once approved you should receive your new title in the mail. I know this was a long post but I thought it might be useful for someone else in the situation I am in with this truck. I found a lot of conflicting info all over the place and wanted to straighten it out. Moral of the story NEVER TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!! When there is a will there is a way and this is perfectly legal. Also if the truck would've had a VIN I could've simply filed for a "Title 42".

3. sounds like this part of the trade that you got for nothing is worth what you paid for it without paperwork!

4. The Indian

The Indian
    from oklahoma

I thought so myself, although I did get a little discouraged when dealing with the local tag agent! I won't lie, I was ready to strangle someone ha