Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1937 ford coupe , convertable and cabriolet differences

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by "sickboy", Nov 12, 2013.

1. "sickboy"

"sickboy"

Before I get slammed for the obvious . Yes I know the difference between the fact that the coupe has a roof and a convertible the top goes down. I was more or less interested in specs like are the front fenders , grill and inner fenders the same ? Also, how about the wheel base of them , are the measurements all the same ( I.e. The same frame was used??)
    The reason why I ask is I recently helped a friend recover his "stolen" 37 cabriolet . He was out of state takin care of family business and someone brought it to his attention that his car was on the infamous Craig's page . He called me , knowing my background in law enforcement , and asked if I could "help" in anyway . Long story short , I was able to track the car down ( well most of it ) and not get KILLED in the process ( the story is for another thread ).

So now I was gifted the 37 for my valor and effort , but I know nothing about 37 fords let alone the differences between the models . I have tried doing my research , and learned a lot so far and I've also hooked up with a local shop owner who has build a few glass 37s .
    Now , with that being said here's where I'm at there's a company out of NY that sells 37 parts and I called to basically start gathering fenders , grill and such . While talking to sales guy on the phone I said "yea I'm nervous cause this is the first steel 37 cabriolet I have seen and I don't wanna mess it up " , his tone changed and then he said "we only sell parts for convertibles and coupes nothing I have can help you and good luck . Have a nice day " * click* ...

Not sure what just happened , I called my new mentor and he said there should not be any reason why the front fenders , grill should work from a coupe and that as far as he new the cabriolet was the convertible.
    So my fellow friends please school me and straiten me out if you can . Cause I'm more confused than the day I went to track this thing down !!!

2. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

You might try starting a thread on The Ford Barn. I've gotten a lot a useful info there regarding body parts, interchangeablity, and differences in models. A wealth of information.
    Steve

3. "sickboy"

"sickboy"

Thanks Steve I try there too!

4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

There is nothing unique on the front sheetmetal between the different 37 bodystyles. The rear fenders are different between different body styles, there was a thread sometime back describing the differences. All 37 cars use the same chassis which is the same basic frame from 35-40.

5. The Early Ford V8 Club (earlyfordv8.org) has a book on restoring the 1937. I agree with the previous comments about posting questions about stock parts on fordbarn.com.

Charlie Stephens

6. Front sheetmetal and frames are the same but Cabriolets used the long doors like the club coupes and tudor sedans and roadsters used the short doors like the business coupes, 4 doors and station wagons.

7. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Some good info on '37 REAR fender differences. DD

Attached Files:

8. Convertibles and cabriolets are the same

9. "sickboy"

"sickboy"

Thanks guys . Once again you all came through !