Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 rear spring spreader?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31whitey, Aug 29, 2007.

1. 31whitey

31whitey

what gives
    I just broke a spring spreader from snyders
    Still cannot get my rear 36 spring spread far enough to mount the shackles
    Hell I got closer with ratchet strap tie downs than this spreader junk

Is it best to have the spring hung in the rear cross member or not?

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I assemble and spread out of car.
    please be careful

3. Did you try spreading the complete spring pack? I made the mistake once of trying to remove a complete spring (without fanning out the leaves) and it DESTROYED my spreader when the shackle let go, lucky we never got hurt.

53studecoupe likes this.
  4. 31whitey

31whitey

ya I was spreading the entire pack while it was mounted in the rear crossmember
    I was only using a half spreader, one for traveling, and it did not work out
    that was on of the shortest runs I have had before breaking a new tool
    SCARY
    I will buck up and by a better one tommorrow,

5. mushmouth

mushmouth
    from Minnesota

There was a post in the Ford Barn for making a spring spreader. My son (better welder than me) and I made it and it works good. I would recomen doing a search in the Ford Barn forums.

6. Andy

Andy

I have used a port a power and just put it between the eyes and pushed. Method 2 is to install the spring in the crossmember and attach one end with a shackle. Get the attached end blocked up high and jack up the other end untill it spreads enough to put the links on. Method 3 is to disasemble the whole thing and get the long leaves hooked and use a threaded rod to suck the rest into place. Clamp and install correct center bolt. Lots of debate on which is easier and safer. I prefer 1 or 2

7. I built one like this, it bolts on to the ends of the spring, and can be used with a stock or reversed eye spring. It is very strong and works great.
    HemiDeuce.

Attached Files:

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

What are you installing this 36 Rear spring in??
    What style of spreader does Snyder's sell?
    The original spreaders for V8s were very heavy steel with about a 8" threaded insert with a wedge end on each side. SOme brands even had ratchet handles built in the middle, others you run large nuts (about 1" coarse threads) on the end pieces or use a spanner type wrench and jack the center section around with it.

9. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Not sure if this is kosher or not, but here's my "cheap and dirty" method.

Cut a 2x4 about half the length of the main leaf.

Dissassemble the spring asm.

Center the 2x4 on the bottom of the main leaf, so the ends of the 2x4 contact the bottom of the leaf spring and there is a gap between the center part of the main leaf (where the spring bolt hole is) and the 2x4.

Center the working end of a LARGE C-clamp on the top of the main leaf and the stationary end of the C-clamp on the bottom of the 2x4.

Compress the main leaf with the C-clamp. The spring will ride down the 2x4 on both ends. Once it compresses enough, and gets long enough to make it to the shackles, attach it to the shackles/axle. Remove the clamp and 2x4.

Then grab the rest of the spring pack. Carefully use 2 C-clamps to compress the rest of the pack onto the main leaf. Use a long threaded rod and two nuts/washers to keep it centered on the main leaf and as a safety mechanism if the C-clamps slip. Don't use the threaded rod to take the tension load of the springs as they compress.

I've done this numerous times on a '36 rear spring with about 4 leaves removed for my Model A with a flat type rear crossmember. Its a little time consuming and you'll sweat alot, but it works good for me!

Mike

10. 31whitey

31whitey

good stuff
    thanks guys
    I got the sweat alot and break stuff thats not meant to spread springs
    tommorrow well see

11. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

heres a way to do it without any fancy tools
    put the car on jackstands not much higher then ride height
    put the spring in the crossmember...tighten the U-bolts so that they help to flatten the spring...now hook up one side to the rear and jack that side of the rear so that the shackle is horizontal
    leave the other side of the rear on the ground
    now put a floor jack under the open side of the spring close to the eye and just jack it up till the spring eye gets close to the eye on the wishbone...it'll lign up and you can just slip the shackle in...your just using the weight of the car as the compressor/stretcher
    this is just a way I've done it with success and not spending money
    i've also used a port-a-power but sometimes i hate digging that out and it wont clear if you have a quickchange

good luck
    Zach

alanp561 likes this.