Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Ford Questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3blapcam, Dec 12, 2006.

1. 3blapcam

3blapcam

I found an interesting car for what I think is a cheap price. But... I'm wondering what kind of aftermarket support there is for body panels... specifically coupe/roadster rear body panels & trunklid. I looked on Bob Drake's online catalog and didn't see what I was looking for.

Does anyone else make aftermarket panels? Are all the bodies of that year the same wheel base?

Thanks...

2. cadzilla

cadzilla

dennis carpenter has an nos section behind his shop . in the back last time i looked he had some nos sheet metal . but could of sold it by now . he has all the door handels and stuff like that . also ems make patch panels for the trunk. deck lid i can roll you a new one . give me a shout if your interested. t rodz tim 757 254 2493

3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

EMS, and macsautoparts.com sell body panels.

I replaced the drivers side lower rear fender section with a part from Macs, that was made by EMS, and it worked perfectly.

Django has also replaced some quarters on his 36, so he could tell you who he got em from.
    Don't worry it won't be long, he smells out 36 posts like a rat does cheese.

Also take a look at rod and customs website, the have a series of how to's relating to a 36 convert they built, and it shows some panel replacment as well.

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/projectbuild/4815/

Good luck!!

4. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Thanks for the info. I jumped on EMS' online catalog and didn't see what I am looking for yet. I just sent Dennis Carpenter a request for NOS panels... so we'll see what happens there.

I'm anxiously awaiting Django's input!

What about the wheelbase of the '36 Fords... are they all the same redardless of body style?

Thanks...

5. tisdelski

tisdelski

hi guys,

same frame from 35 - 40(different crossmembers and running board mount) , so the wheel base should be the same.

gary

6. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Also check with Dick Spadaro. He's a HAMB'r and I've heard he is a pretty successful swapmeet buyer.

7. i can help you out too just let me know what you are looking for.
    Brant

8. 3blapcam

3blapcam

I am just looking to see if these are available... new or used... doesn't really matter.

9. 2-TONED

2-TONED

i dont think any aftermarket trunk lids are available so figure a grand for a used trunk lid, nice original rear fenders are worth their weight in gold also. the aftermarket rear tail pieces are available along with rear quarter lower panels.

10. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

I saw a nice pair of 36 coupe/roadster rear fenders at hershey, the guy wanted 3k for the pair, I need a pair but not that bad.... hopefully somebody will repo them soon!

11. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

wheelbase is 112" for coupe and roadsters.

EMS are the only people who make repair sections for them, obviously you can get glass fenders etc. no one else makes panels as such for them but you can get nearly everything from ebay and or fordbarn however only thing I have never ever seen for sale is roadster/cabriolet doors. trunk lids come up now and again but they get strong money - good fenders get anywhere between $1000 and $2000, there is a guy making new fenders but think they are over $3k

12. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Now... when ya'll are talking about rear fenders... are you talking about the "actual" fender that comes off the body and covers the tires? Those are pulling several thousand dollars and are hard to find? The reason I ask is because those aren't the parts I'm inquiring about... but that's good information to know.

I was inquiring about the body panels that butt up to the trunklid and the fenders hang off of.

13. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Just out of curiousity, do Fordors & humpbacks (are those two the same thing?) have the same fenders as the coupes and roadsters? Same Frames... just different bodies?

Sorry for all the questions...

14. You should buy the book from the Early Ford V8 club. It's basically for the restores but will answer a lot of your q's you have. It covers 35/36 and contains a lot of detail.

15. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Thanks for the link Bryan... that was good stuff.

Mike... I haven't bought the car yet, so I'm not going to invest in a book I don't need if the info I get keeps me from buying the car. Thanks though.

I am looking at running & driving 8ba powered 4dr humpback and was hoping to chop it up to a 5window coupe... but it looks like it's not going to be worth the investment in parts. Is there any real value (except what the buyer will pay) in a complete 4dr. humpback? I could use the driveline for my model A project... if the rest of the car is worth parting out?

Opinions?

16. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

Buying the book Irish Mike said is a solid investment whether you buy the 36 sedan or not....arming yourself with FORD knowledge is a great asset that you will never regret!!...Hemi35

17. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

the fenders arent the same on fordors/humpbacks as coupes/roadsters however the difference is really small. if you can weld/fabraicate then you can fix that easily - its only the way the fender mounts at the back which is different and the mounting holes may be in a different place so you might need to drill additional holes.

there was someone on ebay last week selling the back half (from the B post back) of a 5 window coupe just now so its possible to make a coupe from a fordor ar humpback - just depends on your skill levels.

dont think there is anything worth having from a humpback if you are parting it out...

18. 36fordrod

36fordrod
    from fort wayne

I have a 36 grill ready to paint and a front winddow and frame with all hardware to sell if needed