Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Ford Flathead Cooling... Thermostats??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sutton Speed, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Question for you guys... stock '36 Ford flathead water pumps were rebuilt by Skip Haney down in Punta Gorda Florida. Skip advised me to not use the upper radiator hose thermostats as it will run cooler but wanted to get a second opinion. Once car is warmed up it runs at 140 degrees constantly, is this OK or do I need to track down some thermostats? Any idea who sells them, can't find them in any of the catalogs (Mac's, Sacramento Vintage Ford, etc.) They only sell the '37 on up water outlet type thermostats.

I've read the hundreds of threads on here of everyone arguing over thermostats vs. no thermostats, restrictor washers, etc. but none of these threads mention '32-'36 flatheads, only the '37 on up.

Any advice guys?? Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

140, if accurate, is too cold...engine is not warmed up, clearances will be off a bit, oil is probably cooler than desired, water will build up in pan and make sludge...you want more like 180.

Not sure where to find any. In recent years I have seen mostly NOS, and who knows if they are good after sitting around for decades.
    Consider looking for a parts counter person who will let you look over stock for a suitable (or cut-downable) modern thermosta, put it in hose so it is blocked in one direction by the nipple and in other by a tube inserted and hose clamped.

This guy adapts modern big-opening stas but do not know if he covers pre-'37:
    Bob Shewman [email protected]
    Except for the last B's, all Fords from 1933 got thermostats.

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

you could get one that fits your hose and then tack weld a piece of pipe to it. If one cant be had just cut one down.

4. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Thanks Bruce, kinda what I figured.

5. Email Bob, he makes the very best stats available, not crappy modern type.

6. 53 ford

53 ford

Check out tractor supply. 8n ford tractor 160 degree no pressure.

7. I have Skip's pumps in my 34 engine with no thermostats. If it's cold out, it does not get much hotter then 140, but on mildly warm days it'll run 160-180...and if it's really hot out, it still don't get much hotter then 190