Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Alignment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Rabid Whippet, Jul 12, 2012.

1. So after putting on 280 miles on the 1936 since 1962 or before, I figured that my eye ball alignment was really good but not real accurate. It drove killer and at 70 I could let the steering wheel go and it tracked perfect. So I call up a local alignment shop and am told they could get me in at 3:00 PM today. I grab the 36 and get there at 3:00 Sharp. They don't get the car on the rack till 4:00 and then say that the alignment is out and if I want to schedule a time for them to align my car and that with my complexed front end, it may take alot longer than the hour that they predicted and they have a few other jobs that they need to finish. I told them that they wasted 1 hour of my time already and that a Mustang II is not a compexed front end and is pretty much a very simple one and that it is one of the most common set ups out there. Then jokingly I said, OK get that tech working on my car and I'll finish the brake job on the car he's behind on. I made the guy squirm a bit and then when the tech guy started looking at it, he was amazed at the adjustability that it had and that the new cars are way more complexed. He was done in about an hour and then fired up the car and drove it down the block. I had to laugh as this was probably the hilight of his carrer working at GOODYEAR!!!! I can say that the lazer technology of this system is incredible and my car drives 100% better than my eye ball did!!! A $74 well spent. He asked me what to set it up at and just thinking that since its a Mustang II, I chose 1975-76 Mustang II. Wherenotice the difference the most is after turning, it goes back to straight real easy. So the caster is way better and the steering is alot tighter. I bet my caster was negative. Also he pointed out that the rack was loose as the bolt was too long. I got home and cut the bolt and tightened the rack and now it is incredible!! I wonder how it will react when I go with the wide white bias plys!!!! LOL!!
    <!-- / message -->

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Whose Mustang II kit did you use ? We are going to be putting one under my Son's 46 one of these days and he is thinking Heidts.

Don

3. It has the Heidts cross member but is stock Mustang II upper and lower control arms and rack. It sure handles great!!

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks for that info. He has been looking at various kits and the Heidts seems to have some good feedback on it as far as ease of installation, quality, etc. A few bucks more, but probably worth it.

Don

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I have camber, caster and toe-in/out gauges.......

6. Thanks Shaggy but the Hawk Eye lazer alignment set up is a hands down killer set up that is accurate to a .01 degree. I have never seen something this futuristic. This machine had 4 clamp on recievers that self leveled on the wheels, shot the beams to 4 pads up on the arms about 8 ft high on the front of the 2 posts of the 4 post alignment lift and then showed the alignment on a computer screen in each and every way.