Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 3 speed transmission question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tdragger1, Jul 5, 2012.

1. tdragger1

tdragger1
    from Az

Hi guys-
    The transmission in my 36' Ford (with stock v8 flatty) let loose. I think I want to buy a replacement and drop it in instead of rebuilding the stock one because I currently do not have adequate space. Could someone tell me what year transmissions are directly interchangeable with the stock 36' tranny?

Thank you..

2. The trans you need is a 39. It has much better gears in it. The shift tower does not angle back, it comes up straight. You will have to notch your trans cover a little. The 39 is a much better trans.

3. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Any '36-39 topload three speed will go right in with a couple caveats. First, you must use the the 35-38 type clutch release arm (7511 on the parts drawings). Second, you will have to use the 35-36 style rear support parts. We have all the parts in stock to build one up if you want one ready to go and all fresh inside......with 39-48 gears and synchro installed. Just contact us.

4. scrubba

scrubba

Thank goodness, I have four 1953 Ford transmissions , all needing various parts . Now I have someone I can talk to ! scrubba

5. tdragger1

tdragger1
    from Az