Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1935 Pickup Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Rush, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

Decided to start a build thread it might move kind of slow but here it goes.

My Dad bought this pickup back in the early 70's Long before i was even thought of. It ran and drove. Mostly stock just a newer flathead and juice brakes. He ended up selling it to a good friend of his and inherited it back when he passed away in the early 90's. It was torn apart getting ready for restoration but not to far in to it. So for the past 20 years or so it has been sitting waiting for life to slow down so it can get its turn. Finally after my Dad thinking of selling it and me selling my 57 F100 and bitching about not have anything to work on. My Dad made me part owner and we split up the work. He is keeping the Body at his place for now and I got the frame, motor, and trans, to get assembled and going. Then they will meet again some time down the road.

Hears our plans

Mild traditional hot rod
    stock body (no chop or anything else crazy)
    full fenders
    flathead power (8ba runner for now with a 59ab waiting for rebuild)
    3 speed trans with Columbia OD
    35 wire wheels
    not sure on paint color but something from a 40's ford stock color

some pics to start out. I will be doing the chassis work and my Dad isn't the most tech savoy guy so i will try to get pics of the body work when I'm there helping him

Here is when we split it up at his place so i could bring the frame over here

[​IMG]

The 8ba to get it on the road nothing crazy here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

checking out the cogs in the trans there is some wear. But figured we would rebuild it after i get the hang of driving it as I would hate to grind up new gears :D

[​IMG]

rolled the frame out and power washed it to get a better idea what its going to need

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its really in good shape there are a couple spots that will need some attention. But mostly just cosmetic and a fresh coat of black paint

here is the wheels its got and the old shoes that still have the nubbys on them

[​IMG]

Got all the brake lines off tonight and the master cylinder. We took all the drums off this week end and will need to rebuild all the brakes. The progress will be slow but steady but i will up date as things move along

2. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Sweeet ! Keep us updated! Good luck!

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It looks really solid in the pictures. You guys are doing it the right way, not getting all crazy with changes, just making it a cool driver.

Good luck with the build.:)

Don

4. 3R CRUZER

3R CRUZER
    from Kerman Ca.

Good luck on your project. Looks like your on the right path.

5. the truck looks like a good start, I tried to buy my brother-in-law's 35 truck for about 3 years, Finely gave up and bought my model A. every time I see a 35 Ford truck I think about it rusting away.

good luck.

6. Good luck on your build and your induction into all things flat keep it up and you will look like this.....Subscribed.....
    PS love the wires!!
    [​IMG]

7. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

Thanks for all the replies like I said it will be slow but steady progress but will keep this updated

Nice 36 Carl and nice FED

8. 35cab

35cab

Great plan, keeping it simple, no chop, full fenders and a flathead, perfect, look forward to see progress.

9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Sounds great. I've got my eye on a 35 if the other guys ever decides to sell. By the way, I couldn't see any pics in the original post?

10. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

Can any one else see the pics ?

11. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

I will be watching. Hope it kicks me in the rear to get to work on my 35. Good luck

12. druids62

druids62

Great project. Love that year. Thanks for not chopping to bits. Keep up the good work.

13. knotttty

knotttty

sure can..... and its looking great....

Roy