Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1935 Olds 3w coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by praisethelowered, Jan 3, 2011.

1. I just can't compete....... But I can watch and enjoy. Thanks.

2. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

compete?. . yours is all bodywork so far and i haven't even started my "wood replacement years" yet.

BTW my wifes family is in fallbrook on Gird Rd. we spend holidays there . . . so you might see my car in town someday.

3. telekenfun

telekenfun

I'm digging your build. Doing up this era Olds is so far off the beaten path I never would have imagined one like this. The hidden undercarriage is just outstanding and now that you are getting to the details, I really like what you're doing. With the taillights in the bumperettes it was a very good idea to go for a center taillight. The bumperettes are a very cool feature but will be below the hood line of most the cars behind you. The center light will be right in their face. Put a bright bulb in it so they can't miss seeing it. The artist in you did a nice job of incorporating the license mount into as well. Centered as the plate is now also preserves the rearend symmetry.
    I have used nearly the same taillight housings on my 36 ford (36 Dodge/37 Chrysler lenses) and installed a third taillight up on the front edge of the trunk for all the reasons I suggested before. I got a ration of crap initially, but now many have come to think it's cool. Don't pay any attention to the ridicule you may hear over the center light; it looks cool and makes your rearend all that much safer. Best Regards and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB.

Attached Files:

4. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Telekenfun- Yours is different but it makes sense how you put the lights "tucked in" between the fenders and the body the same as the headlights are on the front. I never considered that but it addresses the same problem I had with wanting the fender ridges to run uninterupted all the way to the back. It is surprising to see them there but the more I look at it the more I like it.

5. telekenfun

telekenfun

It always disturbed me even on the styles of all the Major auto manufactures when the frontal treatment and rearend didn't seem to carry a common theme. There was never any congruity from front to rear. In fact it is difficult to recall a car that did. Maybe a 59 caddy's dual taillights against the front's dual headlights, but that would be stretching it. A good bad example would be a 59 Impala; what do those "cat eye taillights" have to do with the front end style?
    I resolved to try to be "theme conscience" with this build and since the predominant feature of a 36 Ford frontend is the freestanding teardop headlights that where nestled between the fenders and grill I had no choice but to use teardrop taillights nestled in the same general place at the rear. The "snail neck" taillight stands had to go, and now the rear fender reveal shows up just like on the front fenders. The rear reveals weren't even noticeable with the stock taillights, so that was an unexpected gift to me. Now I've carried the teardrops into the interior, using them for speaker enclosures as well. I just hope it's not too much!
    You stay with it, I'm enjoying your progress and will look forward to your next posting.
    Best Regards and Good Luck with all you endeavors, KB.

6. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

O.k. - short update here
    I fell down the c10 rabbit hole. I bought a 63 chevy for a daily driver and am spending the next 2 months whipping it into shape. It is a fun distraction but doesn't deserve a build thread.

7. telekenfun

telekenfun

OK, Your 2 months down the rabbit hole are almost up. Shoot us a picture of the C10, knowing your skill and good taste I'm sure we will all appreciate what you've done to it. Then get back on the Olds, We want to see what great ideas you'll come up with for that masterpiece.
    Best Regards and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB.

8. praisethelowered

praisethelowered