Register now to get rid of these ads!

1934 pickup project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34ratpickup, Aug 3, 2010.

1. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Yeah I was impressed with the quality. I saved some money buying them tacked only but I can weld them on my own. They will only look better mounted on the truck!

2. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

I have had some more time to work on this thing. Finally stripped it down to the frame and welded everything up 100%. I then painted the frame and suspension parts to finish it up. Starting to do the final assembly. Still need to weld up the headers just making sure they fit right before I weld them all up. I didnt get a picture of it just yet but I bought some so cal speed tierod ends for the hairpins. I couldnt get the threads started and then I realized that the nut was completely cracked. Anyone ever seen this issue before?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I made some tank hold downs for my tank out of Klien leather belts. (the heavy "Ironworker" type). Used some cheap hardware handles for mounts and cut each belt in half so the buckles are located center of the tank. With the old type strap springs it makes a nice and inexpensive set-up. You can stain or dye the belts for a more "vintage" look.

4. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Been working away on the truck. Fuel lines have been ran, started to run the fuel lines. Late last week I hauled the truck over to a buddies house to help me build the floorpan. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once it comes back I need to finish up plumbing the brake and coolant lines and wire the truck. Windshield is ready to go. Picked it up from anaheim glass the other day.

5. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Well The floor is finally completed. Just need to paint it now. Hope to have the brake lines and trans cooler lines plumbed by the end of the week. With pretty much no room for a gas peddle we had to notch out the tunnel for a gas peddle. Turned out pretty nice. Need to order up some seats for it and then wire it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Well over the past few days I kind of cleaned up the floor. Didnt want to leave the floor bare metal because it would totally rust out. So I scotchbrighted the whole thing and clear coated it all up. Turned out pretty nice. The car is plumbed except for engine coolant lines. Next step is wiring.

[​IMG]

7. dirty4

dirty4

Nice job on the floor. Looks like you will be truckin in no time. Thanks for postin up them pictures.

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Looks like you're havin fun! Nice truck!

9. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Yeah this project has been alot of fun. I have built a few offroad trucks and buggies in my day and this is something totally new to me. I started to wire the thing last night and started with a rats nest and am slowly figuring out how to hide the wires so the least amount is exposed. I bought a 20 circuit harness from speedway motors. I am almost thinking I should have just bought the 12 circuit harness. But I didnt like that the fuse panel and turn signal relays were separate. So i pretty much made this harnes a 12 circuit harness. Here is what I started with. More pics will follow. Still not sure if I will run just the simple plastic conduit or the old school cloth wire wrap they used when these cars were built. The only problem is the ends with plugs are almost impossible to pull through unless wires are cut and then resoldered together.
    What are other guys using? Nothing has been run yet so I still have some time to figure all that out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Man that floor came out sweet.

11. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Thanks skip. It looks even better scuffed and clear coated.

12. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I have a '34 p/u with a 383 Mopar and had to move the oil filter. Just remote the filter and you will have room. Also I just bought a radiator for cut down 32 and it is the same as what I have in the p/u. Plenty of room. This radiator is half the price of others and is beautiful. $211 shipped. Go to ebay and find 32 ford aluminum radiator or look up suncoastdeals

Attached Files:

13. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

I dont have an issue with the oil filter. I just went and picked up a shorter oil filter.I believe its a PH16. It was a PH8a. Same thread and dia just 2" shorter. If the oil filter does become a problem then I will have to relocate it. But for now its perfectly fine. The radiator was mounted in front of the cross member to allow the grill shell to be dropped down lower.

14. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

I am in the beginning stages of building a '34 truck and was wondering if you had some pics of the front end, specifically the steering. What steering box did you use? What steering column etc. This is my first build and some input is welcomed.

15. I love being able to read your build up. I have a 34 body as well and hopefully at some point I can start working on it!

16. T-rev

T-rev

LOVE the Build. Truck looks good Keep us posted and good luck.

17. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

RDP. I sent you a pm with some info!

18. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Well I have now sort of organized the rats nest of wires under the dash. I ran the wires out through the bottom of the cab for head lights and tail lights. I wired up the key switch, turn signal switch, headlight switch and guages. Im thinking about mounting the fuel guage somewhere but not sure where. Didnt really want to cut up the dash so I was thinking about making something to mount it below the dash somewhere. Need to go pick up some grommets to run the wires into the frame under the cab.

[​IMG]

19. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Well I finally drilled out the light bar to mount the commercial lights to it. I then mounted the light bar to the frame. Now I need to fab up some brackets for the rear lights and hook everything up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. vendetta

vendetta

nice.really nailed it with the lights!

21. indydrt

indydrt

cant wait to see it done

22. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Well the laser cutter finally got my shroud back. Took it to work and used the press to dimple die the holes out. Bent it all up in the brake. I set it on the radiator and just need to secure it to it now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. nice, clean job!

24. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Nice work. You may check up about the Fram oil filter if you are still using one. I have heard they are very poorly made now and may kill your engine. I may be wrong but I seem to remember a thread on here about them. Great truck.

25. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Really i will have to look into that. I will do a search. Wouldnt want to smoke that engine as soon as I get her running. I want to have some fun driving it for at least a little while. Thanks

26. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Radiator has been mounted back up on the car. Need to finish plumbing the lines to the neck and water pump. Now I just need to finish the wiring on the front section of the car.

[​IMG]

27. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

28. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

I havent been posting much but im still working away on the car. The wiring is ready to go and complete. The motor cranks, lights and guages all work. I actually ditched the chrysler alternator and decided to go with a gm alternator. The wiring was way cleaner and I didnt have to deal with wiring an external regulator. Just need to pick up a new belt that the correct size.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fabbed up some rear temp tailight brackets to mount the lights until I throw a bed on the truck.
    [​IMG]

The bomber seats showed up a few weeks ago and they were just way too big. So I did some slight modifications to them.Put a brake in the top of the seat so it would slide back and took roughly 4" out of the base. I picked up an old canvas tent on ebay to use the material to wrap the seat bases and backs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just need to pick up some belts and then I can mount the seats in place.

Im getting the registration process started so hopefully in the next two weeks it will be making its maiden voyage down the street. There are just a few things I need to button up and throw in the fluids and were ready to rock and roll.

29. knotttty

knotttty

Awesome job and workmanship rat34 ... I was wondering what you were using for a panhard bar .... I am using almost the same rear suspension as you ..... would it be possible to get a picture or 2

thanx

Roy

30. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Knotttty, I am not running a panhard bar on my rear setup. I am using a transverse leaf in the rear and that acts somewhat like a panhard bar. So I was told. I drove a buddies car that has basically the same setup that I have and he did not have a panhard bar in the rear. If you were running a coilover or coil spring in the rear then you would need a panhard bar.