Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Ford Pickup Build U.S. Mail

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ratspit, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Jeff34

Jeff34

That wasn’t rat rod, that was survivor. My &0.02

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

nunattax likes this.
  2. Ratspit

Ratspit

Straightening out the roof was the first order of business on the cab. Sorry I didn't take any before pictures but it had all the typical dents. cab roof finish 2.jpg cab finished roof 1.jpg imagejpeg_0(72).jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  3. Ratspit

Ratspit

Then it was on to repairing the doors. The drivers door was by far the worst. The outer skin on it needed a lot of straightening. Hinges were bent. The passenger door was much straighter but still had some thin spots that required patching. imagejpeg_0(82).jpg imagejpeg_0(78).jpg imagejpeg_0(77).jpg imagejpeg_0(76).jpg imagejpeg_0(75).jpg imagejpeg_0(74).jpg imagejpeg_0(71).jpg imagejpeg_0(70).jpg door inner cutout 2.jpg

4. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Wow, I can tell already this is going to be a super nice truck when you're done.

nunattax likes this.
  5. Ratspit

Ratspit

Cab corners and back panel were good. Just needed to fix a little bit on the front lower panels on the cab. cab sheetmetal done.jpg

DeLuxe 32, Fitnessguy, rc57 and 11 others like this.
  6. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your mock-up is just KICKASS!

7. Ratspit

Ratspit

With the cab metalwork complete (at least for now), it was time to get the perimeter frame up on the table and start work on the chassis. I decided to set the truck up with 2 degrees of rake and 5 inches of ground clearance.

my truck chassis 4.jpg

nunattax, tb33anda3rd, brEad and 6 others like this.
  8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

mikie likes it !
    great Sheetmetal work, love the sectioned frame rails to give the truck the channeled look keeping a full floor.
    .. GO spit GO !

9. Ratspit

Ratspit

The rear axle was the first order of business. Locating it was just a matter of pulling a few measurements from the front horns.

my truck chassis 1.jpg my truck chassis 3.jpg my truck chassis rear view.jpg

10. Ratspit

Ratspit

Thanks Sloppy J. I can't take any of the credit for the awesome metalwork. I have the guys at QRSR helping me.

11. Ratspit

Ratspit

With the Winters QC in place we welded in the motor mounts and set the flathead and T5 in place. my truck chassis 7.jpg my truck chassis with motor.jpg my truck chassis with motor 2.jpg

12. Ratspit

Ratspit

With the engine and rear end located it was time to tie everything together.

my chassis structure and ladder bars.jpg

13. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love the style and stance your going for, well done.

14. Looking good Pete....

Wonder who will get theres done first, You or me :)

15. Ratspit

Ratspit

Thanks Bruce. You've got a pretty good head start on me.

16. Ratspit

Ratspit

Normally the front end would be next but because I want to run a suicide front end we decided to get the cab into position first, see what everything looked like, and then position the grill and axle. Channeling the cab was the first step and we decided to remove the firewall, section it, and mount it to the frame. It turned out that 2" could be removed from the area above the original forward cab mounts. The other 4 inches had to be sectioned out of the middle of the firewall.

imagejpeg_0(67).jpg imagejpeg_0(68).jpg firewall foot pre cut.jpg firewall section detail 1.jpg firewall section.jpg

brEad, Fitnessguy, rc57 and 6 others like this.
  17. Ratspit

Ratspit

With the firewall roughly in place the floor was cut out of the cab following the shape of the frame rails and mounted to the chassis.

cab floor channel  with firewall.jpg

18. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

If a guy is going to channel the body, model A bumper bracket to body "spacers" work great when separated as front body to frame mounts... vvvvvvxxxx.jpg

19. Ratspit

Ratspit

Sloppy, Great tip. Thank you.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Great attention to detail. Others should take note.

21. Ratspit

Ratspit

Channeling the cab created its share of details to be addressed. Starting with rear panel. The panel was first notched to get the cab on the chassis, then the lower bead detail had to be moved up 2" to meet the original floor pan. imagejpeg_0(22).jpg cab channel detail rear corner.jpg cab rear panel template 2.jpg 20200603_114930_resized.jpg

brEad, Fitnessguy, rc57 and 8 others like this.
  22. Ratspit

Ratspit

More cab channel details. This time tying the floor and cab back together.

cab channel detail .jpg cab channel detail floor 2.jpg cab channel sills 1.jpg cab channel sills 2.jpg cab channel sills 3.jpg

23. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

I believe I saw that cab on CL a couple years ago and drooled on the keyboard over it. Glad it went to a good home and is getting an awesome rebirth as a hot rod!

24. Ratspit

Ratspit

Moving to the front again it was time to tackle the firewall transition.

cab channel lower firewall transition 1.jpg firewall transition paper model 1.jpg 20200629_121053_resized.jpg 20200629_121157_resized.jpg cab channel firewall finish detail.jpg

brEad, Jeff34, Fitnessguy and 9 others like this.
  25. 51box

51box
    from MA

Nice work that firewall came out great, keep the detailed pics coming

26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

27. n847

n847

28. Ratspit

Ratspit

Up to the front of the truck, we decided it was time to channel the grill 3" and section it another 3". The original grill was in very nice shape. It needed a little work on the bottom lip but otherwise had faired quite well over the years.

original grill.jpg imagejpeg_0(61).jpg imagejpeg_0(62).jpg grill on table shortened 2.jpg grill on table shortened.jpg grill bottom done.jpg grill on truck 3:4.jpg grill sectioned full frontal.jpg

tb33anda3rd, brEad, Tim and 7 others like this.
  29. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Very nice work indeed! But considering what you are doing to the truck I suggest that the relevance of a US mail truck is long gone and the thread's title be amended...

nunattax likes this.